Did you have a clubhouse/treehouse as a kid?

@vicki2876 (5636)
Canada
November 26, 2007 10:05am CST
I never really had one. We would get blankets and make forts for a night or so but that was it. I got some old wood and made my kids a clubhouse which I put at the edge of the woods in our backyard. They pretend they are in the army and that is their base and stuff and it is really fun. Do you have one for your kids? Did you have one growing up? What things did you do in it?
9 people like this
18 responses
@lecanis (16647)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
26 Nov 07
I lived with various relatives at different times, so I didn't have anything permanently. At my grandmother's house I had a favorite tree, and I would tie things to the branches up there and keep them, and I even had a favorite spot where I could sleep without falling off. But I never had a treehouse there. At my mother's place once, my stepbrother built a clubhouse. It was sooo neat. It was actually rebuilt out of a shed that was falling apart, and at one point it had electricity before, so he rewired it so we could use the electricity. It was almost like having a mini house, and I liked it better than the trailer my mother lived in at the time. However, the funny thing was that once we had this awesome clubhouse built, we discovered a cave under a waterfall, and wound up hanging out there even more than at the clubhouse. :P I want to have a clubhouse or treehouse for my son when he's bigger. :)
4 people like this
@MarkyB21 (1545)
26 Nov 07
I had a treehouse which I built with my Dad - my friends used to come over and we'd all sit in there playing games etc. I thought it was really great! My little sister had a playhouse with a marble floor! When we were building it one of the shops nearby was getting rid of the marble front of the shop and gave it to us - that was quite impressive (although I still preferred my treehouse).
5 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
26 Nov 07
Yeah I was always in apartments as a kid so no where to really go to have one. But that sounds really cool to have one with electricity. I am glad my kids have one. Though it isn't fancy, just some old wood, it is somewhere they can do anything to it. Thanks
3 people like this
@lecanis (16647)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
27 Nov 07
Marble floors? I want marble floors! Yes, Transdisc, the cave under the waterfall was very very awesome. There were a lot of waterfalls in the woods by where my mother lived for a while, but the one with the cave was definitely our favorite. And since very few people lived there, there wasn't really any competition for it. :)
1 person likes this
@uath13 (8192)
• United States
27 Nov 07
I built one in a tree in the lot next door to our house. We moved away & that lot is now developed. The tree is now right beside someones porch & the clubhouse is still in it. They even added a rope ladder down to the porch. Guess I did a pretty good job building it.
3 people like this
@uath13 (8192)
• United States
27 Nov 07
If you lived an hour away & had the supplies I'd consider it. With the carpentry skills I've aquired since then it'd probably look like a minature lothlorian ( if your a lotr fan ).
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
That is so cool that it is still around. Hey you want to build me one? LOL
1 person likes this
@raychill (6525)
• United States
26 Nov 07
My brother and I had a tire swing. we also had this house in the backyard that we painted. Each wall was a different color outside and in. It was ridiculous. But kinda awesome. I played in it a lot when I was a kid. I had a chalkboard inside and a few other things. I loved it. It wasn't really a "clubhouse" persay and definitely not a tree house. Oh we also had a tree that we could climb and play in. That was fun also.
3 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
My kids have a chalk board inside theirs too and I let them paint the outside which is all different colors LOL Thanks raychill
1 person likes this
@raychill (6525)
• United States
27 Nov 07
Your kids have it as good as my brother and I did! I wish I still had that chalkboard. It was pretty big. When we got too big for the house my dad used it as storage. So I took the chalkboard up to my room. I can't remember whether I sold it... or what I did with it. I know that I don't have it anymore. But it was pretty awesome and it'd be fun to still have and write on.
2 people like this
@3lilangels (4639)
• United States
26 Nov 07
well when i was a kid the only tree house or clubhouse i have had was basically a fort we use to make out of anything we can come up with at the time from snow to couch coushins.so for my kids now we build ones all the time to have fun.blankets and coushins are the best.pattie
3 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
Yup we did the couch coushins and blankets too. My lids do that too. What fun! Thanks pattie
1 person likes this
• United States
27 Nov 07
Thats exactly what we did Vicki!! Made tents and forts with old blankets and stuff. We didnt really have the right kind of trees to build a tree house really. The tents were fun though, and our Moms let us camp out in them overnight when we wanted too. One night we didnt know we spilled some Kook Aid and we woke up with ants all over us!! LOL Needless to say we didnt really look forward to doing that anytime soon. We were miserable, and no telling how many we probably ate while we slept! UGH! Bay Lay Gray xx
3 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
28 Nov 07
We set up tents for camp outs in the yard too. it is fun but I can still get in the house if I need anything. Thanks
1 person likes this
@megumiart (3771)
• United States
26 Nov 07
I used to have a play house, it was a really girly, Playskool brand one. I used to play in it all the time with my friends. And We used to pretend my tricycle was our car.
3 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
26 Nov 07
Man I always wanted one of those girly playhouses! You are so lucky. Thanks
2 people like this
@wolfie34 (26771)
• United Kingdom
27 Nov 07
We had a massive garden when I was a kid and it was full of trees, bushes and great places to hide and make camp and hide out! We used to have our own secret passwords so that we could get into our little hiding place. We used to pretend we were fighting the baddies and even had bow and arrows, I guess it was cowboys and indians, no one wanted to be an indian though.
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
That sounds awesome! That would be lots of fun. We have woods out back of our house now that they children enjoy but I was in apartments as a kid and couldn't do much with the one fenced tree in the city. LOL
1 person likes this
@gberlin (3836)
27 Nov 07
My friends and I had a treehouse. We collected scrap wood from the many houses that were going up in our neighborhood and built a treehouse in a tree that was dividing two farm fields. We enjoyed the treehouse very much and then one day we went to the treehouse and it was gone! Where the treehouse and trees used to be was a new dirt road. Soon more houses sprang up. We were getting older and in our teens and never chose to rebuild in a different tree. I never built one for my kids but they never seemed to miss it since they were busy doing other things. My son and his friends did build a halfpipe for skateboarding when they were teenagers. Later on when he was in college they sold it since they were not at home that much to use it.
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
They took your treehouse down! Yeah I wouldn't want to rebuild after that either. Thanks
1 person likes this
@stella1989 (2274)
• India
27 Nov 07
I never had any treehouse or clubhouse when I was kid. I had a group of friends who had around 7-8 kids in it..!! As we live in a town we didn't get any tree to make a tree house and never thought of a clubhouse before.!! But we used to have a lunch party twice a year..!! We used to bring clothes and carpets and make a tent out of them in our terrace . We used to decorate it well and put nice cusions around to sit over and play cards and scrabble or monopoly!! Each one of us has to bring atleast one dish from home..!! And some of us would bring something from market like a packet of chips and coldrinks. It used to be a great fun those day. :)
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
That sounds so fun and inventive Thanks for sharing!
2 people like this
@sacmom (14192)
• United States
27 Nov 07
I guess you can say I did. Though it wasn't a treehouse, but rather a big tall flowery bush that was kind of enclosed. The way that it grew it even had an entrance! LOL My sister, friends and I made it into a clubhouse, though our club didn't last long. I think it was because we could never decide on who would be what LOL such as president, vise president, treasurer, etc and the club ended soon after. It's just as well as it wasn't waterproof anyway! LOL
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
LOL That would be beautiful to be enclosed in flowers but yeah once it rains it would lose the romance. Thanks
2 people like this
• United States
27 Nov 07
I did not have one but always wanted one. We took sheets and thumbtacks and pinned blankets to the walls. This did not make my mom happy. I built my children one. It has three rooms. When they were younger they oldest two played in it, now they seem just to throw old toys in it.
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
My kids have gone tack happy to my walls creating forts too LOL
1 person likes this
• United States
27 Nov 07
Yes, i did. And I had alot of fun helping my dad build it. For years it was me and my friends favorite hang out spot. Now 19 years later, its still in the back yard. But its rotting and falling apart. Its not safe at all. Sometimes when I mowing the backyard and i look up at it, it brings back many old memory's that I really miss.
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
That is so nice he let you build it with him. It does create nice memories doing things like that. Thanks for sharing!
1 person likes this
• United States
27 Nov 07
I've had a tree house since I first learned to climb a tree at 5 or 6 years old... well at first they were just imaginary, but when I learned to wield a hammer they got more substantial, although mostly they were just boards nailed to a couple of branches. I got arrested once when I was 9... I got caught stealing Glade air freshener for one of my tree houses.
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
28 Nov 07
LMAO That is so funny. 9 year old thinking about freshness HAHAHA Thanks
2 people like this
• United States
27 Nov 07
i had an awesome treehouse when i was younger. it was not really a treehouse as much as it was a shed raised up about 10 feet supported by 4x4's on the corners. it had a fireman's pole for sliding down and everything. i would have little sleepovers, sometimes we'd bring out extension cords and hook up a little tv.
2 people like this
@vicki2876 (5636)
• Canada
27 Nov 07
That is awesome and really cool thanks for sharing!
1 person likes this
• China
27 Nov 07
After having read the toptic ,I knew Iwould like to have one ,but now I am man .Though its my childhood's wishes ,now I'd like to have one for the one who wants to have one.
2 people like this
@jaded22 (828)
• Philippines
27 Nov 07
no. i didn't have any but i really wish i had one
1 person likes this
@saundyl (9783)
• Canada
4 Sep 08
Fallen treehouse - In the trees is my childhood treehouse last spring after the back legs gave out. It now sits at a slant!
My mom built my sister and i a treehouse when i was 5 and my sister was 2. Theres photos of us stealing veggies from moms garden so we could "cook" in the treehouse...and the photos of my sister eating a raw onion. Sadly last spring after 20 years of standing it sunk and and is now a slanted house. We spent many many many hours playing out there. It had a deck and a ladder and a slide...furniture and a real window.
1 person likes this
@1hopefulman (45123)
• Canada
16 Sep 08
I didn't have one as a kid but I would not mind having one, one day. I did love climbing trees though. I also would like to have a pet monkey. I could learn a lot from him. How to get such powerful arms. How to swing from tree to tree.(visions of Tarzan just flashed to mind, but I have to remember I'm Superman not Tarzan. I'm the man of steel not the man of the apes) LOL I would built it on a fruit tree, then breakfast would never be too far away. One day Jane, one day! LOL