Trimming baby eyelashes makes them grow longer someday?

Philippines
January 4, 2008 11:19pm CST
I often hear my mother advice my cousin (who has a new baby) to trim the eyelashes of the baby just so when the baby grows up her eyelashes would be longer and thicker... It was never done to me when I was a baby, maybe they forgot it. haha.. Anyway, what's your opinion on this? I don't know about babies so it keeps me wondering until now. Of course I want my future child to have stunning eyelashes like that. Thanks.
5 people like this
20 responses
@nichole1983 (1187)
• Canada
5 Jan 08
one of my brothers cut his eyelashes when he was a wee tot.. and yes they do grow longer and they also curl... i love his eyelashes i wish i had them.. dont know if it would work now and do the same thing to me as it did to him.. but they are so cute...
• Philippines
5 Jan 08
I really envy those who have eyelashes like your brother, wish I had them too! If only I could turn back time. LOL.
• Canada
5 Jan 08
im sure we can both trim our eye lashes a bit and see what happens.. hahah
• Philippines
6 Jan 08
haha.. :)
@mycharm88 (2288)
• Philippines
5 Jan 08
Hi there glitzy c",) I think it's true because i have 2 neice and a nephew whos lashes were trimmed at 5 to 6 months old and their lashes grew longer and thicker. Too bad my mother wasn't able to do it in my time.
• Philippines
6 Jan 08
haha too bad mine didn't too
@noriko (1254)
5 Jan 08
oh goodness you might struck the babies eyes, or yet the eye lashes might get inside the eyes.
• Philippines
5 Jan 08
yes it's too scary when i think of it too
@marketing07 (6266)
• South Korea
5 Jan 08
haha!maybe your mother doesnt know that b 4, well yess its true i have a proof.
• Philippines
5 Jan 08
HAHa. too bad she knew of it too late!
@dania_elm (421)
• United States
5 Jan 08
i dont know about the eylash thing but all 4 of my boys have unbelivable lashes im so jealous!! my daughter--not so much when one of my kids was a baby i had been told that if i brush his hair up instead of down, it would be curly i did and it is not saying thats what did it, it does run im my family but he is the only one i did it to and he is the only one with curly hair
• Philippines
6 Jan 08
Thanks for the information about brushing hair up instead of down, now that's new to me! :)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
23 Jul 13
Hi, I don't think that it is safe ti try for babies. it is very risky techniques to grow lashes
@Ohara_1983 (4117)
• Kuwait
5 Jan 08
I think i believe your mom, because one of my friend told me about trimming eyelashes for baby, but im afraid to do it with my daughter maybe i will hurt her. but my friend do to her son, but he have a good eyelashes and more curve than normal. it will be good if for you baby girl.
@Sissygrl (10912)
• Canada
5 Jan 08
My daughter has got my husbands amazing eyelashes so i'm not too worried about them being longer when she's older, they are pretty long now. Even if they were not long now, i would not put a pair of scissors that close to her face or eyes in fear that i or someone else would poke her eyes out or cut her skin. I wouldnt take the chance just for the possibility of having longer eyelashes someday.. MAYBE. No thanks ;)
@foxyfire33 (10005)
• United States
5 Jan 08
There is no way I would go near a baby's eyes with scissors or trimmers or whatever. I'd much rather they had thin, short eyelashes than be blind because I'd poked their little eyes out!
@sacmom (14192)
• United States
6 Jan 08
Trimming the eyelashes? That's a new one to me, but it sounds like an old wives tale. I never trimmed either of my sons eyelashes and my youngest son has some very long, thick, and dark eyelashes, even though he has blond hair. I think it just depends on the person eyelashes, not if they trim them or not.
@barehugs (8973)
• Canada
5 Jan 08
Just an Olde Wives Tale, there is no fact to it at all.
@theprogamer (10534)
• United States
5 Jan 08
Hmm, interesting. Maybe something similar happened to me. I uh...have some..uh...longer eyelashes... ..
@chrislotz (8137)
• Canada
11 Jan 08
That is so silly, how would they grow longer and thicker. Besides I would be so afraid of the baby blinking or moving it's head and pooking it in the eye or worse. It just doesn't make any sense to do this very dangerous thing to your baby. I hope you aren't even considering such a thing when you have a baby. Ask your doctor about it, he'll tell you the same thing.
@power926 (60)
• Canada
5 Jan 08
If that does work im going to for sure do that to my children when i make some :P
@SViswan (12051)
• India
5 Jan 08
I've never had my eye lashes trimmed and never did it for my two boys. But all of us have long and thick eyelashes. I think it's hereditary and we got it from my mom (I'm not sure who she got it from). I've never heard of trimming the eyelashes.
@pitstop (13054)
• India
5 Jan 08
Trimming eyelashes make them grow more. Shaving makes your stubble/beard thicker. Cropping your hair makes it grow faster. Shaving your arms makes it grow more Uh.... I've heard so many of these and dont know which are true! But I've never shaved my eyelashes so far!
@bonbon664 (3466)
• Canada
5 Jan 08
Sounds like an old wives tale to me. I would never have trimmed my babies eyelashes. Sounds dangerous to me.
@roniroxas (10560)
• Philippines
5 Jan 08
i dont believe in that. i have four children and during the time that they are infants i cut their eye lashes. but only the second born has long eye lashes for she has long lashes even before i cut it. my children are now 16, 15,13 and 12
@Zelmarq (12585)
• Cebu City, Philippines
5 Jan 08
My mother trimmed my lashes but sorry to tell you mine didnt gorw longer. It only made it thicker.
@lilybug (21107)
• United States
5 Jan 08
I have never heard this before. Both of my kids have long eyelashes so it will not be an issue for them. I also have long eyelashes, so I guess they got it from me.