What Is Your Opinion On School Uniforms?

Canada
March 22, 2009 12:43am CST
I went to a highschool where we had to wear uniforms. I thought it was a good idea, because it elimated kids being bullied by others for wearing the wrong clothes. On the other hand, I found the kilts that the girls were expected to wear, way too short. It must have been a man who designed the drinking fountains, because one had to bend way down to get to them. I opted to wear the pants that the boys wore, since I felt the kilts were way too short. What are your opinions on school uniforms? Did you go to a school where you had to wear them? What were the school colours? Mine were dark blue and white (the kilt was two tones of blue and we had navy blue blazers) and our pants were grey.
17 people like this
50 responses
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
22 Mar 09
I think school uniforms are great everyone looks the same and it is not a fashion statement, but then there are the kids that are poor and can't afford to by them because they are expensive, as far as short, it was the parents committee that decided in my son's school and yes I was on that committee and we do not go for short shirts that was not acceptable.
3 people like this
• Bahrain
23 Mar 09
don't you think a single uniform is much MUCH cheaper than having to buy dozens of different clothes for school?
2 people like this
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
23 Mar 09
no I don't, poor families cannot afford it, they uniforms here are like two hundred dollars and if you have 3 or 4 kids that is a fortune, this has been a big school concern for parents here for years, Poor children cannot afford the uniforms.
1 person likes this
@GardenGerty (157485)
• United States
28 Mar 09
I think there needs to be a way to provide for students so that the poor students do not have a hardship or have to go without.
@p1kef1sh (45681)
22 Mar 09
Bluecoat boy - Bluecoat school
I have no problem with school uniforms, I wore one, a rather peculiar one in fact, see the photo below - not me! They do allow a degree of conformity and standardisation which isn't such a bad thing.
3 people like this
• United States
22 Mar 09
I wore a school uniform from age 5 to 17 years of age. It was navy blue, light blue and silver. We wore a shirt and tie, black stockings or socks. During the years I wore it I hated it but now I realize it was a good thing. We did not have the distraction my daughter had at non uniform school where the girls were more interested in what designer jeans who wore etc, etc. Concentration was very poor I realize now that I got a good education because I was not distracted by clothes or boys. Oh forgot to mention it was also an all girl school.
2 people like this
• United States
22 Mar 09
i suppose it'd be a good solution for the "popular clothes cliques",or to keep parents from spending a lot of money on clothes..but around here,the kids were usually targets of the non-uniformed kids.it'd only work if they all have to do it. i never went to a uniformed school,but it might be a good idea. however,i imagine kids would just find something else to quarrel about.
• Australia
22 Mar 09
I think having school uniforms is a good idea - I went to private schools from the 3rd grade until I graduated high school. I agree that it helps when some kids get picked on just for what they wear. At the high school I went to, we even had a dress code for when we had free dress days.
• India
22 Mar 09
yes i think that there should be a uniform in high school because it maintains the disiplin amongst children also it creates a equal environment 4 all students .so do u study in high school,if yes then i too study in one .by the way my uniform is also white and dark blue in color.but instead of blazers we have sweater .
3 people like this
@stephcjh (38473)
• United States
22 Mar 09
I never had to wear a uniform for school. I think it would have been alot better for those children whose parents did not have alot of money to buy name brand clothes though.
2 people like this
@idowrite72 (2213)
• United States
22 Mar 09
I never had to wear a school uniform and neither did my children but I do understand why it was decided when I was a teacher to adopt them in the public schools where I taught. The bad thing was, as a teacher, part of MY job was to see that the students were IN a school uniform, since they started wearing them when I was a teacher and I taught at the junior high level, which made it more difficult. We were to check for belts and shoes and colors and that the shirts were tucked in and all, on top of the teaching duties that we already had. These students were given a choice of colors and NOT the school colors and were even given a choice of different styles of tops to wear. It was a casual look and was really quite comfortable. If the girls wanted, they could wear a jumper and blouse, or pants, like the boys, which most chose to do. Many of the students were able to get vouchers to get their uniforms for free at certain stores and the chain stores have certain areas where the parents can go in and find the uniforms, without having to go to a specialty store to buy them OR to pay a high price for them.
@Foxxee (3651)
• United States
22 Mar 09
I kind of think that is going over the top... checking the childrens belts & shoes? Must be a strict school...
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Mar 09
If a dress code is to be enforced, it has to be enforced. There were so many who were following and so many more who were not, that they were making sure it was being followed by all, but waited until it was late in the year to be so strict about it. We had girls wearing fuzzy boots. Not accepted. Boys with colored shoe strings, which were not only gang related, but also not accepted. A strict school? haha NOT in the ways that they needed to be.
@kezabelle (2974)
22 Mar 09
I think they are great, uniform material is often easier to wash and tougher it lasts longer than any of the normal every day clothes i buy the girls! My eldest wont wear a skirt though she will only wear trousers, they were a white polo tshirt green (bottle green!) sweatshirt and black or grey trousers/skirt. Mine was black trousers and navy blue sweatershirt with white shirt, and school tie, when she is older and leaves her primary school at 11 the uniform is all black and white its fab VERY practical and washes well!
1 person likes this
@mikeysmom (2088)
• United States
22 Mar 09
i do not think anyone should tell me what my child has to wear to school. i am all for a dress code but not uniforms. i think it is one more right they take away from us and it is more the principal of the thing for me. besides i think a child should be able to wear what they want within the dress code if they are not going to a private school and getting all the priviledges that go along with that. if you want them to wear uniforms then provide them with the other priviledges private schools afford them. if not then keep your nose out of my business.
1 person likes this
@Vladilyich1 (1454)
• Canada
22 Mar 09
I think they`re fabulous for the reasons you state...drinking fountains become a great hangout, and the skirts are shorter than the school would normally allow if you purchased them yourselves :) Also, they make summertime an even better leg-watching time for pubescent males. I think all schools should consider this.
1 person likes this
@deejean06 (1952)
• United States
23 Mar 09
HI danish! Although I never had to wear school uniforms, I believe I grew up in a different era. When I was younger there was a rage for designer jeans but it wasn't half as bad as things are today. I have heard horror stories of mothers who desperately try to purchase the "correct" items for their sons or daughters simply to find out that those items are now "last week". I can't tell you how much of a distraction this is at school when the primary focus should be education, not fashion.
@lvjunjie (80)
• China
22 Mar 09
Wow,I love the uniforms .when I was a child i wish I could wear the navy uniform someday .It is very cool ,especislly for girls .The feeling that brings to people is special . Now when talk to my school uniform,I feel a deep sorrow .the school unifrom is too urgly .That disappointed me a lot .So I didn't have the strong passion for school uniform .
• China
22 Mar 09
when i was in the highschool,my school asked us to wear uniforms.our students don't want to wear the uniforms.Because the uniforms weren't popular among the students.my school forced us to wear the uniforms on Monday,we had to wear the uniforms.Thanks to the only day we had to wear ,or we would be crazy.my unifoms were blue and white(my clothes were blue and my trousers were white,i don't like the uniforms)
@GardenGerty (157485)
• United States
28 Mar 09
Over the years women's fashions have sometimes left too much revealed. If you have the pants option then it is a good thing. I would favor school uniforms, but my kids never had them. I think that if there is a school uniform it should be suitable to the activities required at school. I hated seeing girls, little girls, under 9 years old, wearing fancy dresses, and high heels or flip flops to school. Kids need to dress in a way that allows them to be active, modest, and comfortable.
@arkaf61 (10881)
• Canada
2 Jul 09
When I was in school they had just moved from uniforms to no uniforms. I was actually looking forward to use uniforms because at that time - like now - I feel it's a great idea and an adequate equalizer. Before they dismissed the uniform altogether my school's colors were dark red, dark blue , black and a very tiny whit line.
• Philippines
12 Apr 10
Well, yeah, of course. It is a good thing to have school uniforms. But somehow, my school uniform is not comfortable to wear. I live in a tropical country and the fabric used in our uniforms is so uncomfortable, it gets so hot especially when it's already summer. And when it rains, it becomes so cold. I just don't like our school uniform. My school is so strict on school uniforms.
• Philippines
25 Dec 09
Hello danishcanadian! I wore uniforms since grade school to college. The colors of my uniform when I was still in elementary are blue and white. The colors of my uniform when I was in high school was grey, white and red. We had different sets of uniforms when I was in college. My most favorite then was grey and white which was actually a set of grey pants and blazer with white blouse.
@navi33 (113)
• Philippines
22 Mar 09
I'm from Philippines, well i wouldn't say there's some kind of complication or color coding to our uniforms. You see, most of our uniforms here especially the public schools always use the same color. Like black long pants and white polo for the high school and blue short pants and white polo for the elementary. Meaning throughout my school life its like wearing the same cloths over again. Making you think its out of fashion, boring and stuff. But in the other hand we didn't even care about it nor think it out a slightest bit 'till now. There is only one thing for sure, there are just schools that "just being simple" IS NOT part of their dictionary. I mean what's wrong for being plain? Sure, anyone wants to stand out who wouldn't? Still, making it WAAAAAY to short, flashy etc. have to stop. Although some schools can't just accept to change these things easily only because people like me(who have no position to begin with and saying it to their faces) sees it a little bit out of hand, and if it's already been part of their culture, tradition, school regulation that's why they can't change it. Whatsoever there is nothing wrong with it to me, besides the majority doesn't bother them with this issue right?! And if it did cross their minds well they will forget it eventually. Well.... There you have it, my comment that is.
1 person likes this
@larish (2191)
• Philippines
24 Aug 09
I also used to wear a school uniform during my elementary, High School and even College days. For me it is an advantage since I won't have to take match time to choose what to wear. If I have a uniform, I don'thave any choice but to wear them. i don't even need to accesorize them since my schools don't allow it. It is time and money saving for me during my school days.