A common phrase you consider rude?

United States
June 8, 2010 11:50am CST
I think the phrase "For Your Information" is a little rude. I find it to be condecsending. Though it's commonly used, and the person who uses it may not want to seem rude.. it's just how I percieve the phrase. Is there a phrase commonly used that you find to be rude or disrespectful?
4 people like this
16 responses
@pooja30 (203)
• India
8 Jun 10
I don't know why, but I find it very annoying when people make a statement, but they make it sound like a question, as if they're baiting you to get into some weird discussion, where they're bound to end up right! Also, when people add "just by the way" to the end of sentences, it just comes off as patronising. I don't know if it's a universal thing, or something colloquial though.
1 person likes this
• United States
8 Jun 10
I could see where that would be annoying. Thankfully I don't talk to people often who say things like that.
@Wizzywig (7847)
8 Jun 10
I dont find that phrase rude or condescending but what I do hate, is being called "hun" or "babe"... too familiar, patronising. I'd rather be called b!tch than either of those.
1 person likes this
• United States
8 Jun 10
I don't like those either.. unless I know the person well.
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
8 Jun 10
"Whatever!" to me that is rude...means someone doesn't care or won't take the time to listen to what you have to say...
• United States
8 Jun 10
I use that one a lot... especially when I've been proven wrong.. instead of admitting I'm wrong I just say "Whatever" and drop it, lol.
@CJscott (4187)
• Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
9 Jun 10
Whatever as in Whatever you want my dear, is how I use that one.
@skysuccess (8858)
• Singapore
8 Jun 10
katsmeow1213, Generally, I would not find this phrase condescending or rude as I felt that this is just a mere remark to make some clarification or make a point. Of course, that will depend on the entire conversation or written account to actually determine if it is being disrespectful, badgering or rude.
• Singapore
9 Jun 10
katemeow1213, No problem, my friend. As I've mentioned I would not deem it as anything rude, so you can always put "FYI" in your responses to me. Take care.
• United States
8 Jun 10
Well it is just my opinion...
@dawnald (85135)
• Shingle Springs, California
8 Jun 10
Condescending, exactly! I remember once we helped my brother-in-law move, and we rented a truck on our credit card. BIL rearended the truck, which Richard was driving. We had gotten the collision waiver, which we don't usually do, but in this case they pointed out that our car insurance didn't cover rental trucks. So anyway, we had to cover the deductible on it until BIL's insurance paid up, $500, lovely. So we went there and the woman asked us, "how do you want to pay for it?" "Well I don't WANT to pay for it at all, since the accident wasn't our fault. But here is how I'm GOING to pay for it." She wasn't very amused...
@dawnald (85135)
• Shingle Springs, California
8 Jun 10
Oh my husband would do pretty much anything for his family. I have no doubt that he would do it all over again if the situation came up.
• United States
8 Jun 10
Guess it's a good thing you got the collision coverage though.. and I'm sure learned a valuable lesson about putting stuff on your credit for someone else.
1 person likes this
@dorannmwin (36392)
• United States
10 Jun 10
Well, my seven year old's best friend is a teenager, so it means that she is bringing home a lot of the phrases that children much older than her are using. So the two that I can think of right off the top of my head are "Duh." and "Uh, yeah." When I am talking to my child, or to anyone for that matter, I want to be able to realize that I am talking to them and that I am serious. When they use these kind of responses, I don't feel like I'm being listened to and I know I'm not being respected.
• United States
10 Jun 10
Yeah, it infuriates me when one of my kids speaks to me disrespectfully. That is usually when I call their father at work and tell him, and he'll get on the phone and yell at them.. they know it's not acceptable.. though it doesn't always stop them. Especially the oldest.. it's one of the drawbacks to having a teenager.
• United States
11 Jun 10
It bothers even me when teenagers talk like that and I'm a teenager. If you count nineteen years old as a teenager, even though I'm considered an adult.I feel kids are becoming ruder and ruder. It might be just me. They seem to disrespect their elders a lot more. I've been transferred from one school to the other and the kids are so different. I guess it could just be how they grow up nowadays.
@sacmom (14192)
• United States
12 Jun 10
Hiya kats. I find that one rude as well. I remember when a family member said that to me once (in an email), though he used the abbreviation for it instead. It happened a few years ago after I had sent him and just about everyone else on my contact list an email without using BCC. I had never used it before, nor did I know how, and never had a problem with it (at least when it comes to someone complaining about it anyway). He went on saying something about how others can get a hold of peoples email addresses that way, like spammers. I can understand what he was saying, but to put FYI seemed a little rude and unnecessary, even if he was just trying to be helpful. After that incident whenever I happen to send out emails to multiple recipients at once I make sure to use the BCC. Too bad the same cannot be said for this family member. Yep, he's forgotten to take his own advice and not use it! Another one that doesn't sit well with me is "no offense". I don't recall anyone saying it to me, but for some reason it just seems so darn offensive. I think that's about it when it comes to phrases like this. LOL Happy mylotting!
• United States
13 Jun 10
LOL.. people say no offense when they're about to say something that will probably offend you.. whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?
@ersmommy1 (12588)
• United States
13 Jun 10
Yes, that's rude I agree. It always comes with a "tone" too. Like you are lacking intelligence or something. Never really cared for "Get over it" either
• United States
8 Jun 10
I think it depends on the tone of the person saying it or the conversation at hand. But usually it is ment in a rude manner while standing up for yourself.
• United States
9 Jun 10
I agree. A lot of people are saying that 'whatever' sounds rude, but it depends on how you say it and in which way you use it. If it's in a snappy tone and dismissive and implies that you don't care, I would be offended. If it's used like 'Do whatever you like,' it's not as offending.
11 Jun 10
I don't really like the phrase ''actually I think you'll find it is....'''' - sometimes in the right context it is ok but, sometimes it is a little annoyin when aid incertain tones!
@TheCatLady (4691)
• Israel
8 Jun 10
I find the phrase "whatever" to be rude. The person saying it can't be bothered to respond to the subject being discussed.
• United States
8 Jun 10
I agree "whatever" can be quite rude... and that is one I happen to use a lot.. mostly with hubby though, lol.
@Opal26 (17679)
• United States
9 Jun 10
Hey kats! I would have to totally agree with you on this one! I also consider the phrase "It is what it is" one of the most annoying and obnoxious phrases there is! My BF used to use this one all the time! But, I kept smacking him upside the head!lol I think that phrase is the most condescending and moronic phrase there is because it means absolutely nothing!
• United States
9 Jun 10
I've used that one before I'm sure, and I think my hubby uses it too. It doesn't bother us... but I guess it's all in the context.
@Theresaaiza (10487)
• Australia
9 Jun 10
Likewise, even if the intention was not to be rude, but this phrase has been commonly used in a rather rude or intimidating manner. I wonder which is a better way to inform someone without using FYI. It just sounds too arrogant although it wasn't meant to be.
• United States
9 Jun 10
I think it would be possible to get a point across without using an FYI type phrase at all... just skip the FYI and say whatever it is you're going to say.
• United States
9 Jun 10
"You people" is often said as though someone is of a different species. It, too, sounds condescending and totally disrespectful. "Whatever!" This is a phrase that means absolutely nothing and is a waste of breath and time. "When are you due?" to someone when you don't know them and are guessing whether they are pregnant and overweight.
• United States
9 Jun 10
Before I lost the weight, a cashier at Walmart asked my kids if they were going to have a baby brother or sister. Needless to say I was outraged and mortified.. though that is not what led me to want to lose the weight, it just made me hate Walmart cashiers even more than I already did!
@AmbiePam (85497)
• United States
8 Jun 10
This is not a phrase, but I find whatever to be rude and somewhat condescending. I hate it when people say that. It's so dismissive. My sister used to say that all the time when we were teenagers. I'm sure I used it several times too. But it annoys me now. I try avoid using it because I know how much I don't like it.
@CJscott (4187)
• Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
8 Jun 10
What about FYI, it means the same thing, and can be rude I suppose. It is all the tone and method of delivery for me, for instance. If my wife said oh and just for your information, FedEx should be here later today, I would not consider that rude, that is informing me, though, knowing that you dislike it, I would say to you, just so you know. However, I can not think of any commonly used phrase I find to be rude or disrespectful because any phrase can be rude, depending on How it is uttered. Sincerely and With Appreciation.