Another orange post!

@Fleura (13110)
United Kingdom
No not an overdose of squashes this time, but in contrast a lack of oranges! I have almost reached the bottom of my last jar of marmalade. This is a crisis! Normally I make a batch of marmalade and it is enough to last a couple of years. The jar in the picture says 2017. The current jar I’m just finishing was made in January 2019. I don’t eat a huge amount but I do like marmalade on my morning toast now and then, and nothing else will do. No other type of preserve has that particular mix of sweet and bitter flavours, and no shop-bought marmalade is quite right. There are some nice ones available, but I still prefer my home-made ‘brand’. The special Seville oranges necessary are only available for a short period in January/February. The problem is that of course we are staying at home as much as possible, so I don’t want to go out and just scout around all the supermarkets just for that. And if I wait until we need a big grocery shop I might miss them! I’ve tried looking online but all the usual places say ‘unavailable’ or ‘out of stock’. Somewhat strangely, Amazon claim to have them, but I try to avoid buying from them if I can. Meanwhile someone on Ebay is trying to sell them for about five times the regular price. Hope I find some soon or I will have to wait an entire marmalade-free year! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2021.
@cperry2 (5552)
• Newport, Oregon
We've been experiencing shortages on a regular basis, not that many products but some surprising ones. Peanut butter, limits on how much beef or other meats we can buy. No paper products available, (toilet tissue, facial tissues, or hand towels) hand, dish, and laundry soaps and other cleaning supplies. Some of this one expects when everyone is trying to stay squeaky clean to avoid the virus, but peanut butter ??? You'll probably need to phone your local stores to see if they have what you need or can get it. We discovered an interesting phenomenon with one big store chain. Their website shows they have a product but when one orders it, it isn't available when we show up to pick up our order. An employee explained that the company would post they had the product as soon as it was loaded on the truck for delivery to the store, Never mind it might take days for the truck to arrive and be unloaded and product stocked on the shelf.
@Fleura (13110)
Got some! I did call the local(ish) greengrocers and they had some. So today I got what I needed and a few miles of cycling exercise to boot!
@cperry2 (5552)
• Newport, Oregon
@Fleura Good for you.
@arunima25 (52168)
• Bangalore, India
My mom makes yummy marmalade. And you are right nothing beats home made marmalade. Hope you get what you are looking for at reasonable price.
@Fleura (13110)
Normally, a two-year supply or oranges costs about the same as one jar of good quality ready-made stuff. Of course you have to factor in sugar, and cooking costs as well.
@arunima25 (52168)
• Bangalore, India
@Fleura Definitely everything will be factored.
@Namelesss (3121)
Good luck on your search. Maybe you could call some of your local stores and ask then go out to get them if you find any. Homemade marmalade is awesome.
I certainly hope that you will be able to find some soon
@JimBo452020 (32570)
Aye. Running out of home made Marmalade is a major incident right enough. We used to make it, Used those big tins Asda used to have. If Imran out of home made I would resort to Keilors.
@JimBo452020 (32570)
@Fleura Frank Cooper's is good., It really is. If something is good I don't mind paying for it. I am frugal, Posts re our bargain hunt food shopping prove that. But some things are worth spending money on.
@Fleura (13110)
@JimBo452020 Very true, but I'd still rather make it. I should send you a jar (that would be a frugal acquisition!)
@JimBo452020 (32570)
@Fleura Aye And I could send you a jar of my homemade Raspberry Jam.
Orange marmalade was one of my daddy’s favorites.
@Fleura (13110)
Obviously a man of good taste : ) There's nothing else like it.
@Fleura I actually ordered some from England for my son this Christmas.
@Fleura (13110)
@Tampa_girl7 That's dedication! Did it get there OK?
I like jam and make it myself, too, but not marmalade. This mixture of sweet and bitter you like so much doesn't appeal to me. Obviously, one must be British to like it. When one goes to England and stays in hotels or boarding houses, one only ever gets marmalade.
@Fleura (13110)
Apparently it's going out of fashion. Maybe the adoption of chocolate with everything has overtaken such traditional flavours (like liquorice as well). I love it though, I'd much rather have marmalade than chocolate spread on my toast! I have also given jars to friends only to find that within a day they had eaten the lot, straight out of the jar with a spoon!
@Fleura I haven't noticed 'chocolate with everything' in Germany (yet).
@Fleura (13110)
@MALUSE It seems to be the current fashion here. Chocolate spread instead of jam, chocolate chips instead of currants in things like hot cross buns - sacrilege!
@DaddyEvil (31279)
I've never tried marmalade... *shrug* I rarely eat jams or jellies, though. I used to make strawberry preserves but haven't bothered in years. I buy a jar from Walmart when I want some... and then when I want some more, I find it has started to mold in the jar. *sigh* (Pretty won't eat strawberry preserves. Now you know why I quit making it.) I'm glad to see you found some of the oranges you need to make your next batch.
@Fleura (13110)
You're right, not worth bothering. Just enjoy if/when you are out somewhere.
@DaddyEvil (31279)
@Fleura That is what usually happens.
I can never find the Seville oranges necessary to make the right marmalade, I use normal oranges, but I get an orange jam, not a marmalade.
@Fleura (13110)
'Normal' oranges are too sweet. I'm surprised you can't find Seville oranges there.
@Fleura I have never found those that are not sweet. When I will finally be allowed to cross border I will check in Italy, I am sure we had them there.
I much prefer the marmalade from the UK or Ireland, it's what my mom always bought. And I agree Seville oranges are a must, good luck I hope you find some.
@Fleura (13110)
Thanks, I'll keep you posted!
@Fleura lol I'd rather you kept me supplied lol Just kidding!!
I do a lot of online shopping for food and found a link to your oranges:
Buy Seville Oranges Online- order your Seville Oranges from your favorite name in California Citrus, Pearson Ranch.
@Fleura (13110)
Yep, those are the ones! Bit of a long way to go to get them though.
As far as I know they deliver them to you @Fleura of course I don't know what the delivery charge would be for your country
Perhaps you can make a few phone calls and locate the oranges, then go shop for them. What a pretty jar!!
@Fleura (13110)
That's what I did in the end - and I found some!
@prinzcy (14318)
Why are you avoiding Amazon? Do you have bad experience with them?
@Fleura (13110)
No, I just don't agree with the way they are taking over the world, driving smaller retailers out of business by undercutting their prices then when shops have all closed and there are no other jobs, taking on staff for low wages and poor conditions.
I hope you can get some soon so you can make your marmalade.
@Fleura (13110)
Me too - I'm off on a quest today!
oh no! i hope yer able to find some soon, hon. i'd not wish 'em ordered either coz once they 'rrive yer kinda schtuck with 'em. quite oft not ripened 'n the flavor 'off'. i 'gree with ya'n the store bought schtuff, 'tis ne'er quite the same's that'cha made'n put'p yerself. i shall keep fingers crossed fer ya!
@Fleura (13110)
Thanks. Hope to get some today, will let you know!
Sometimes a particular product really appeals and nothing else really cuts it. Hope you find some oranges soon.
@Fleura (13110)
Very true. I'm off on a quest shortly!
There are shortages of certain things here that come from other countries. Hope you find what you want.
@Fleura (13110)
I guess Brexit could put a spanner in the works. I will keep you posted on my quest!
@CarolDM (110299)
Never made it but it is very good for sure.
@Fleura (13110)
It's one of my specialities!
• Mexico
I really hope you find the fruit you're looking for, I know that feeling of not getting a good orange marmalade, I've tried several kinds but the only one I've liked is the smuckers one lol. That's because I don't know how to prepare it myself without it tasting sour bc of the peel. Still yours looks very delicious!
@Fleura (13110)
Thank you! It is the sweet/sour/bitter blend of flavours that makes it special.
@Rashnag (5181)
• Thane, India
Good to know dear. Hope you get what you need. Homemade is preferred by all.