Do you ever "sell yourself short"?

Walnut Creek, California
"Selling yourself short" is a term that refers to not taking enough credit, or not charging enough, for the things you do. At least that's how I interpret it. I suppose it could also mean excessive (sincere) modesty. Is there a similar term in your native language? I've been selling myself short a bit at my friend's preschool. Not only do I not know what days I'm working, but I've been writing her flyers, statements of purpose and schedules (at home) for much less than I would usually charge for such a thing. I guess it's because I want to be as helpful as I can as she gets her small business off the ground. Do you ever "sell yourself short"?
@DaddyEvil (34564)
Yes, all the time... I just edited a manuscript for a friend. Normally, I charge a flat rate for that but this is her first book so she really doesn't have the money but she really needed help... Her spelling is atrocious and she uses run-on sentences that drive me crazy... I did it for her for free. *sigh*
• Walnut Creek, California
I edited a friend's "teaching writing" book for free several years ago. Now I regret it.
@DaddyEvil (34564)
@TheHorse Why do you regret it, pony?
• Walnut Creek, California
@DaddyEvil Because I assumed she'd help me in a similar situation in the future. She did not.
You are really selling yourself short here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. My middle name.
@CarolDM (118732)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I have been told many times that I do this often. I just don't care about attention or credit.
• Walnut Creek, California
I am not big on attention (a part of why I like to play bass), but I do sometimes like credit for stuff I do. I've been "ghost author" at several jobs.
@kaylachan (13941)
I think I've been accused of that. Mostly because I refused to go to college after I graduated high school. There was nothing I was really interested in at the time, and after seeing a lot of people I know attend college, burn themselves out only to not use the degree they went to school for.... or get paid next to nothing for.... I am not really in a hurgy to go back to school now. So, maybe I am or maybe I'm being pratical.
• Walnut Creek, California
I admit that I like learning and am glad I went to college.
@kaylachan (13941)
@TheHorse I wish I could agree. By the time I reached high school, I was ready to quit. I also wasn't going to let people bully me into doing something, just because that's what they wanted for me. If I'm going to spend money to go to school, it had better be because I want to.
• Walnut Creek, California
@kaylachan That makes sense. I wasn't forced, though I was "strongly encouraged." I just remember learning some cool things. To this day I have parts of some poems memorized, Piaget's developmental stages memorized, etc., and I can compute the depth of a vertical mine shaft based on how long it takes for a rock I drop to hit the bottom. Random stuff, admittedly, but cool. And I can write Haiku! does college matter? I know idiots who went and smarties who dint. Heh.
@JimBo452020 (42615)
• Montrose, Scotland
Nah I learned years ago that selling myself short is the worst thing I could do. I would not drop my prices, ever, If I do that So will my competitors and we all got together and we basically all charge the same, And it works,
• Walnut Creek, California
I have upped my prices slightly over the years, but not to the point where I get what I deserve.
@JimBo452020 (42615)
• Montrose, Scotland
@TheHorse Nothing wrong with upping prices my friend. Need to keep it inline with inflation, just to break even on the year before
• Walnut Creek, California
@JimBo452020 I will do my best.
@Shiva49 (18956)
I think I have done it all my life! I was asked to help out at a lady's business venture and it turned out a nightmare. I had to do all jobs which others didn't want to touch with a barge pole while my initial task was only accounting and finance. And my pay was negligible too. It was tough to find a replacement but I managed after two years. What a relief in the end!
• Walnut Creek, California
You found a better job?
@Shiva49 (18956)
@TheHorse I had a job but my friend requested me to help that lady. I was not looking for a job really. So after that, I did not need another part time job.
@FourWalls (31500)
I’m only 5’4” so I always do!!
• Walnut Creek, California
Eh, that's not that short for a female.
In Italian we say "ti stai sottovalutando", it means that you do not portrait yourself in in the best way that's fair to you. I do all the time.
• Walnut Creek, California
Ah, thanks! I was wondering how the same concept was portrayed in other languages.
@TheHorse In French "se sous-estimer".
• Walnut Creek, California
@LadyDuck One "under-estimates"? No stock market reference there.
@DocAndersen (35159)
Sell yourself short is an interesting term. When a person says it to another person they are encouraging them to be brave and let the world know they are good. when its a stock sold short, you are betting on failure. interesting - one hand driving success the other hand profit from failure.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yep, I almost mentioned that the term must have come from selling a stock short, but I didn't bother to research it.
@DocAndersen (35159)
@TheHorse i have no idea, just made me chuckle this morning when I read your post!
• Walnut Creek, California
@DocAndersen Heh. I'm always glad to make someone chuckle. But actually, in the stock market, don't you BUY a short if you're expecting that stock to go down?
You need to be more assertive in this matter. Since I am always looking high and low to make money with my writing I attempt to praise myself to the heavens.
• Walnut Creek, California
I need to learn to make myself sound even better than I actually am. I know I'm a decent musician, and a decent writer, but that's all I can say. Wait. I am a brilliant kid psychologist. I can be cocky about that.
@TheHorse that's the idea
• Walnut Creek, California
@RasmaSandra I will work on it.
@LindaOHio (58993)
I've always done extra with every job I've ever had; but it usually led to a promotion; so that was OK. I've tried to always believe "that I'm worth it" even though I have a bit of an inferiority complex.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sometimes feeling "one-down" can motivate us to achieve.
@LindaOHio (58993)
@TheHorse Yes, plus I have a "people-pleaser" personality.
@WorDazza (16055)
• Manchester, England
I think I sold myself short to the tune of approx. £5 per hour on the current job I'm working on.
• Walnut Creek, California
How did it happen?
@WorDazza (16055)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse I've never freelanced before so I wasn't sure what the going rate should be. Having said that I'm not complaining. I'm still on more per hour than I was when I was a permanent employee of a company.
I have sold myself short many times when I was doing graphic design , especially in my younger days of freelancing. It got me the job, but well, it certainly took more time and effort than I thought it would .
• Walnut Creek, California
I charge "too little" for the speakers I restore. But I enjoy it a a lot and want these speakers back out there in people's living rooms.
@TheHorse I think it's a passion of yours and you genuinely take pride in getting these vintage speakers into the best conditions they can be in. When you enjoy, it's all worth it no matter what the price.
@xander6464 (19033)
• Wapello, Iowa
I had to take a Vow Of Poverty to get this stupid job so I guess you could say I do sell myself for free.
• Walnut Creek, California
I took a vow of poverty as soon as I realized that I was more interested in helping folks than making a fortune.
@xander6464 (19033)
• Wapello, Iowa
@TheHorse I've always wondered why those two things (Helping people and making money) were mutually exclusive. It feels like a flaw or a lack of planning on someone's part or something.
@mythociate (17808)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I thought "short-selling" was a trick they use on Wall Street to make money off of stocks that fall in value
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp
• Walnut Creek, California
It is. My hunch that's where the expression came from.
That's so kind of you. I may have done the same thing before when I was still doing corporate work.
• Walnut Creek, California
My friend's business is tiny right now, but I want to help her succeed.
@vandana7 (79864)
I did that long ago. I no longer do it.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm glad you got past that.
@wolfgirl569 (37145)
• Marion, Ohio
You are doing a very nice thing to help her. Hopefully she appreciates it.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hope her business succeeds.
@lovebuglena (26182)
• Staten Island, New York
I am not sure but I've probably done that in the past.
• Walnut Creek, California
I think most of us have at some point or another.
@myklj999 (54443)
I can't find a buyer for me short or tall or bald or whatever so it's hard to sell myself at all really. But I usually strove to give people more than what I promised.
• Walnut Creek, California
I do the same, especially in my speaker refinishing "business."