Do you think Donald Trump's dyslexia contributes to his narcissism and sociopathy?

Walnut Creek, California
I have been trying to avoid politics recently. But I stumbled on a couple of articles recently that confirmed what I have long believed: Donald Trump's dyslexia probably contributed to his narcissism and sociopathic tendencies. I have an aquaintance who suffered from severe dyslexia in childhood. His comprehension of the written word was low, and his ability to reason logically was compromised. He was unable to keep a job, and ultimately wound up working as an accountant for his father's firm. I have written about him in the past. I was unable to explain to him (I am a former Physics major) that the constellation Scorpius is 180 degrees opposed to the constellation Orion. One (Scorpius) is a Summer constellation. The other (Orion) is a Winter constellation. Even my horse knew that. Do you think that Trump's early dyslexia is a contributing factor to his later difficulties with reading, accepting facts, logical reasoning, etc.? I would say "yes." But I admit that I'm basing my opinion on what I've read in half a dozen books and news from FOX, MSNBC, etc. I have never met the man.
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/17/why-trump-cant-learn-educated-guess-veteran-teacher
@FourWalls (34534)
I don't know about him. I know that your new name provides much more information than I really need. Especially if you marry a woman named Lucy.
• Walnut Creek, California
We would be the hit of any party.
@vandana7 (84751)
Am I missing something here...who s Lucy...
@FourWalls (34534)
@vandana7 — Pony’s name, Lou Stuhl, is pronounced the same as “loose stool.” “Lucy Stuhl” would be loosey stool. Sick toilet humor from a guy full of horse manure.
I have to give credit where credit is due. You have done an outstanding job in framing this. Hahah
• Walnut Creek, California
Just the facts, ma'am. (Dragnet.) I believe that Trump was in elementary school before diagnosis and treatment for dyslexia were available. See my comment to Kayla.
@lovebuglena (30145)
• Staten Island, New York
I've not heard of him being dyslexic...
• Walnut Creek, California
It's been suggested for a long time. I can't remember if his niece mentioned it in her book. To me it's one of the best explanations for his inability to read and his inability to form good "arguments."
@lovebuglena (30145)
• Staten Island, New York
@TheHorse He definitely speaks better than Biden.
• Walnut Creek, California
@lovebuglena LOL! I've watched Trump over the years. I've never heard him make a truly coherent statement.
@sallypup (46217)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Dyslexia is fascinating cause it delves into far more than reading. It grabs at math, too and how a person moves the body- I don't consider myself dyslexic but when I move too fast it is next to impossible for me to remember my left from my right- I flunked at participating in dog agility. Don't ask me to dance and do NOT demand I do much math, either.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. I have two left feet when it comes to dance.
@sallypup (46217)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheHorse You have dyslexic feet.
• Walnut Creek, California
@sallypup That may be the case. But I believe that Dog will help me overcome my deficiencies.
@BarBaraPrz (32458)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Is he dyslexic? I didn't know that, not that I want to know anything about him.
• Walnut Creek, California
I believe so. But he was a child before that diagnosis was "popular."
@BarBaraPrz (32458)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse He still is (a chld).
• Walnut Creek, California
@BarBaraPrz Yeah, the fancy psychologists call that "regression." Trump is still "fixated" and an age when he first realized he was "unloved" or "inferior."
@tallawah (14838)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I know someone who is dyslexic and quite brilliant... he is aware of his shortcomings so reads something a few times before response and asks if he doesn't comprehend.
• Walnut Creek, California
So he is able to engage in constructive dialogue with his peers?
@TheSojourner (31303)
I wonder if this is the variation of the "which came first the chicken or the egg?" arguments.
• Walnut Creek, California
It could be. I'm not saying that dyslexia "causes" narcissistic personality disorder and sociopathic personality disorder. But it could be a "risk factor."
@TheHorse well I've known several narcissists and sociopathic personality types, who were not dyslexic. I've often wondered if there was an a**hole gene, but every time I start thinking along those lines, I fear that I might, too, have it.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner I've never seen you be an assh*le. But it does make sense that Trump's early sense of inferiority would contribute to his later behaviors.
@kaylachan (23236)
It's always possible. If it's not caught early (like many learning disabilities don't) he might not have gotten the help he needed in time or ever.
@tallawah (14838)
• Kingston, Jamaica
As a person who is dysnumerate... that is the same issue with letters for a dyslexic is in numbers for me.. I have compensated because I know that I can make mistakes. Trump is a text book Narcissist who thinks he is better than everyone else.
• Walnut Creek, California
I actually just did some (internet) research. Discussions of "dyslexia" (difficulties in understanding written or spoken language) go back to at least the late 19th Century. But its acceptance as a treatable diagnosis goes back (as I understand it) only back to the 1960s. If I was in elementary school in the 1960s and 1970s, then Trump would have been in his elementary years in the 1950s, before diagnosis and treatment were available.
• Walnut Creek, California
@tallawah But (if you research narcissism) you will find a well of depression and insecurity beneath the surface. I love numbers, and wonder if I could help you overcome your fear of numbers. Teaching kids to love math has been a part of my ECE curriculum since Day 1, more decades ago than I want to admit.
@LindaOHio (71057)
I don't know enough about the subject to comment; but I do know that he definitely has some sort of problem.
• Walnut Creek, California
I don't remember exactly when I first heard the "dyslexia" hypothesis. He did got to elementary school before the diagnosis was well-known, so he wouldn't have gotten the help he needed.
@vandana7 (84751)
Constipation. He looked constipated to me all the time.
• Walnut Creek, California
@vandana7 He did. But the thought of his bowels more than I can handle half-an-hour after eating lunch.
@porwest (46907)
What does Biden's dementia contribute to the American people now, and how does not knowing who is actually running the country affect us? How does it make the rest of the world view us as they are loading up their bombs ready to pounce on a nation that has clearly lost its strength under Biden (or whoever is calling the shots in the White House)?
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm not talking about Biden in this post. I'm just drawing a parallel between someone I know personally and Trump.
@porwest (46907)
@TheHorse If you are going to make assertions about Trump, you have to consider Biden in the argument, because it is worth comparison, especially when the choice to unseat Trump caused us to have Biden, and we need to evaluate whether or not we gained something or lost something. I think we traded good policy for bad policy, competence for incompetence, leadership for who the eff is actually at the helm. And I think we did all because we did not like the guy in the Oval Office. Not because he was a bad president. And I think that kind of reasoning at the polls is dangerous.
• Walnut Creek, California
@porwest Honestly, my life hasn't changed much since Biden took office. Im a bit "richer," but I was already getting "richer" under Obama and Trump too.
@vandana7 (84751)
I think he forgot how to read - he had so many doing so much for him across so many years that it became use it or lose it problem.
• Walnut Creek, California
Smart people I know read for pleasure. Large chunks of my personalty (for better or worse) come from authors I've read, like Mark Twain, P.G. Wodehouse, Earnest Hemingway, Tony Hillerman, Thomas McGuane, etc.
@vandana7 (84751)
@TheHorse Even I am not smart then..evil grin.
• Walnut Creek, California
@dya80dya (24195)
I am not sure if he has dyslexia.
• Walnut Creek, California
Do you have an alternative explanation for his avoidance of reading?
@dya80dya (24195)
• Walnut Creek, California
@dya80dya Maybe we'll learn more over time.
It could be possible one way or another the guy needs a lot of help,
• Walnut Creek, California
Alas, I don't think he'll accept help. I just hope he does his time and fades from the spotlight. I am a strong believer in American Democracy.
@TheHorse remember what happened with Reagan, Now Reagan was not a bad president but by the time he took office again he already had Altzheimers
• Walnut Creek, California
@RasmaSandra I do remember that. I guess that makes me old. The fact that we survived Trump...I see it as a testament to the power of Democracy.
Considering Trump’s difficulty with complex (and not so complex) sentence structures, I believe that he has moderate dyslexia. The fact that he is arrogant helps to stay ignorant.
• Walnut Creek, California
I think so too. A part of his "arrogance" may have stemmed from his sense of inferiority over his troubles with reading and language comprehension. I may do a bit of psychology reading about the "genetics" of dyslexia, narcissism, and sociopathy today. In most families, genetics and environment are "confounded."
@TheHorse I think he has an inferiority complex because of his father who considered him "an idiot", that did not help to move on and be less idiot.
@LeaPea2417 (31421)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I never heard that Trump was dyslexic.
@vandana7 (84751)
Pony was showing off his knowledge as a psychologist.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's a "working hypothesis" (with a lot of support) at this point.
@arunima25 (62231)
• Bangalore, India
I was not aware that he is dyslexic. Well it might and might not. I have taught many dyslexic kids and have a daughter who struggle with learning disorder. Yes, she has problem comprehending the subtle meanings but is brilliant otherwise. Many dyslexic kids are smart enough to pick up coping skills to mask their shortcomings.
• Walnut Creek, California
The dyslexic guy I know struggles to comprehend the written word, even in adulthood, and also struggles with social cues. I don't think it's been "confirmed" that Trump suffers from dyslexia, but his reading struggles are consistent with such a diagnosis.
@arunima25 (62231)
• Bangalore, India
@TheHorse Dyslexia stays life long. People learn to cope with it with training and figuring out on own what works for them. I had no idea that Trump has dyslexia.
@spiderdust (10946)
• San Jose, California
I hate to give the man excuses, but I will say that if his parents ignored his difficulties and had him pushed on through rather than helped as a child, it likely contributed to how he turned out as an adult. However, he has the resources to help himself now.
• Walnut Creek, California
I doubt he would use those resources. Heck, even I have never gone to a MyLot Anonymous meeting. Denial is a major part of many mental illnesses.
@ShyBear88 (47355)
Dyslexia isn’t a mental illness wouldn’t contribute to someone’s mental health. That speaking as a member of people width learning disabilities.
• Walnut Creek, California
So you don't think the sense of inferiority brought by learning disability in a "high pressure" family would contribute to Trump's adult disabilities? My acquaintence has suffered from issues similar to Trump's, but at a "lower level," of course.
@ShyBear88 (47355)
@TheHorse learning disability and lifestyles his behaviors is more of how he was raise. Yes people with learning disability and disability see the world different we don’t always understand things depending where you are on the spectrum yes learning disability have spectrum. With proper testing, work with a person that has study learning disability while going to school gives you tools. Trump would have had the best of best depending on his family’s income. His learning abilities has nothing up with being a controller or having power or a certain power. Some one with less money or family not willing to push hard for there disability rights which by the way Trump himself was rude and disrespectful for a whole group of people with learning disabilities which one they would have live with a learning disabilities would never have said or done. Over all he is an old D I C K
• Walnut Creek, California
@ShyBear88 I remember him being disrespectful to people with disabilities.
@id_peace (14399)
I did not know that he is not able to read like us. I will be more relax with him from now on since he could not read in the way we normally read.
• Walnut Creek, California
I do feel for the man. And that diagnosis was not well-known when he was a kid.
@id_peace (14399)
@TheHorse Even when I was young, this is something that was not well known as well.