Carnival Rides

Do you love the rides at carnivals? Do you trust they're in working order? When a carnival comes to town, do you rush to it and get on the barf rides? Do you think mobile rides are safe? I have a friend, believe it or not, I DO have friends, that spent years traveling with a carnival. He told me horror stories of broken bolts and worn out safety equipment. He said that the same bolts holding the rides together, were used over and over until they failed. Each time the carnival moved to a new location, it was reassembled using the same hardware from the previous locations. I decided that amusement parks were a much safer place to enjoy the rides. Do you worry about the safety of these rides? Do you love the smells from a carnival? Do you buckle up before starting your car or after you start it?
I have lots of anxiety about rides and such. Today I felt disturbed by one of the elevators at the VA. I buckle up when I get in. Sometimes hubby tends to start the car before I get to it, and then when the car starts dinging I talk back.
I won't go near carnival rides. I'd rather go to a park with permanent rides. Keys in, buckle up, start, turn on headlights. Every time.
@Vikingswest1 I have not been to a carnival in ages.
@Vikingswest1 , those should be safer
• Walnut Creek, California
I have to think about that last question.
@kobesbuddy (130575)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I don't rush off to a carnival, to hop on their 'barf' rides. But, I do love the smell around a carnival, cotton candy and candied apples are delicious! I buckle up after I start my car.
Isn't that smell wonderful?
@kobesbuddy (130575)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Vikingswest1 Yes, it's a yummy sweet smell, like no other place on earth!
@kobesbuddy I agree. I LOVE the aromas of a carnival. Except the ones mentioned by the Horse.
• Walnut Creek, California
I do not like the smell of vomit and teen armpits.
Hahahah I never got used to those smells either.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Vikingswest1 I was a Carney one summer. For about two hours.
@TheHorse I thought about it one time but never did. I'll bet those two hours were hell.
@cahaya1983 (10724)
I do worry about the safety of the rides, which is why I also prefer amusement parks to carnivals. But the smell, yes! Nothing like the pop corn and cotton candy smells at the carnival.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I like to smell the carnival before I even get there.
@cahaya1983 (10724)
@Vikingswest1 I think someone should come up with a word for the carnival smell .
@cahaya1983 Fairoma. Hahah
• Rupert, Idaho
I went to the carnival a ton when I was young...but it stopped coming to my town. I would still ride some of them though. I never worried about their safety....because I figured that the people in charge had to make sure they were safe.
Apparently the people in charge were unsafe lol. I went to a lot of carnivals too but stick to amusement parks. I've been to Silverwood twice and even made the cover of one of their yearly brochures.
• Rupert, Idaho
@Vikingswest1 Well, I never had an issue....but that stinks that not all are safe. Well amusement parks are fun too....I haven't heard of that one but that is cool! I only have been to one amusement park in my life lol...Lagoon.
@MommyOfEli2013 Silverwood is in northern Idaho near Coeur d'Alene.
@JimBo452020 (53248)
• Montrose, Scotland
What a waste of money these carnival rides are. So I don't do them, ever.
It used to be a cheap thrill. I don't even know what they charge per ride now. Still very popular in small towns.
@JimBo452020 (53248)
• Montrose, Scotland
@Vikingswest1 Aye. It visits our small town once every year. 5 rides. All the kids go on them time.after.time. I just don't get it. Each ride costs about £2 for 5 minutes. Very expensive. Our neighbours kids got through £40 very quickly.
@JimBo452020 Ouch. That smarts. I would have a hard time dropping that much.
@Bensen32 (21879)
I do not like them mostly cause I don't trust that I am not going to get killed on them. They always look unsafe not to mention some of the workers look like they can't even remember their names let alone put the rides together correctly.
Yep. That sums it up pretty well lol. The food is great though.
@Bensen32 (21879)
@Vikingswest1 not good for you but taste great :)
@Bensen32 Terribly unhealthy but deep fried Snickers bars ARE pretty good lol.
I used to love carnival rides when I was younger and never worried about it being safe. I enjoyed the thrill of all those crazy rides
I did too as a kid. I never worried about safety and spent every penny on rides. I couldn't get on one today.
@Vikingswest1 sometimes I wish I was as carefree as the days when I was young
@Marilynda1225 I wish the same thing. But my carefree youth is responsible for many of the aches and pains I have today lol.
@id_peace (14410)
I cannot take rides in the carnival. I have motion sickness. I will vomit when I come down.
That's why they are called barf rides lol. I have motion sickness on saltwater. Boats and ferries will make me sick but I can ride a roller coaster all day without a problem.
@id_peace (14410)
This is a strange motion sickness. Can you go on cruise.
@id_peace I sometimes get sick on a twenty minute ferry ride. No cruises for me lol.
In my younger days I have been on a giant wheel and the merri-go-round. But never the roller coasters.
I could spend all day on a roller coaster. The giant wheel was the place to take a girlfriend and hope she got scared so you could cuddle high above it all.
@Vikingswest1 So you went on a giant wheel to cuddle your girl friend (lol)
@allknowing Yep. Hahah
@kaylachan (23437)
Depends on the day. Sometimes I will before sometimes after. As for the rides, I feel perfectly safe. I also haven't been to the county fair in years.
I went to the carnival here two years ago but it was just for mini-donuts and elephant ears.
@kaylachan (23437)
@Vikingswest1 If we had the money, George and I would've gone to our county fair, but we didn't. So we couldn't. Maybe this year.
@kaylachan I really hope you'll get the chance to go this time around. Last years carnival was canceled here. I don't even know if it will go on this year.
@cacay1 (56409)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I never experience ride like that , I am so afraid. When I was a kid, I preferred to eat ice cream in a corner than ride. I was so terrified.
I wasn't terrified as a kid. I am terrified as an adult. There sure are good treats though
@cacay1 (56409)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Vikingswest1, you already had strong adrenalin when you were a child.
@moonandstars (52141)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
as a child, until high school, i liked them. for several years now, i don't need that kind of excitment
I still like the thrill of some rides, I just like to know they're safe.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Vikingswest1 i understand that
@CarolDM (145849)
I used to enjoy the rides with my son Dustin. Many years we would go to Disney and to the local fairs. He enjoyed more than I did. But to see him smile made it all worth it to me.
I have SO many fun memories of carnivals and their rides, I just got a wake up call about the safety of those portable rides.
@CarolDM (145849)
@Vikingswest1 The safety is of utmost concern.
@Deepizzaguy (52262)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I used to ride in the amusement parks in New Orleans until they closed around 1979. These days I am scared to take rides on rides that are scary.
If the scare is with the ride itself, I'm ok with that. If the scare is how the ride was put together, I'm not riding.
@Deepizzaguy (52262)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@Vikingswest1 I do not blame you since I am scared of heights.
@porwest (46907)
I used to. But I think those days are long gone. And you bring up an interesting thing to consider nowadays. "How well are these rides maintained?" I think the answer is actually "not very well." But it does depend on where you are of course. Rides at big parks like Disney or Six Flags or Busch Gardens are going to have regular inspections and certified inspectors, and will be much better maintained than say, "The Flying Octopus" at the local carnival that's in town for a couple of short days and operated by a one-eyed 70 year old with no teeth and ratty hair.
Yes. I prefer rides that are welded together. A one-eyed 70 year old man with no teeth, ratty hair and a bottle of MD 20/20 in his back pocket.
@porwest (46907)
@Vikingswest1 That is probably more like it. lol
Man, not honestly sure when I have been on a carnival ride..I am sure I have but probably not in a billion years. I prefer amusement parks.
I do too. But I still go to carnivals for the treats lol.
@sol_cee (26998)
I went to carnivals for the food lol
Me too. So many things to eat at carnivals. I don't ride anymore but enjoy the food and atmosphere.
I used to love rides - didn't matter where. But somehow as I aged, I started having "fears" - I don't know how that happened. We all heard horror stories about carnival rides, but thanks to videos evidence (and a lot of 'em), I cringe at the thought of riding them. I worry about the lack of safety of these rides. I like the smell of food at a carnival . . . I think those smells are planted out there on purpose. I think I buckle up as soon as I get in the car, and then start it.
That smell sure draws you in. I've seen too many videos of ride failures too. I would still ride roller coasters at a park but carnivals are for mini-donuts, elephant ears and cotton candy. You covered everything. Thanks for playing