Discussion about a dog and cat living happily together at home

Israel
Thank you Linda for your post by putting a picture of a dog and cat being loving to each other. I had a dog and cat at home and they loved each other. Each time I took my dog out and even though she had her own cat at home she still liked to chase cats. I often wondered if that is instinct or why if they have a cat at home they love they still have to chase other cats outside. Does anyone know the answer to that?
@arunima25 (66638)
• Bangalore, India
There was a time when I had few dogs and other animals as pet. They lived peacefully but at times the dogs will get that rivalry and try to get all attention. I never had cats. I am allergic to them and also a bit scared.
• Israel
@arunima25 I can see how your dogs would fight with each other to gain your attention. Not all people like cats. That is ok.
@arunima25 (66638)
• Bangalore, India
@Hannihar I had a really terrible experience with cat in my childhood and that has instilled a lot of fear. I freeze if I see any cat in close proximity. I don't dislike them but yes due to that incident, I don't feel safe and secure around them.
• Israel
@arunima25 I am sorry that happened and can understand how cats can scare you. I had a cat with my dog and loved them both so much and have another cat and love her too but we have issues at times. Cats can be very different than dogs.
@DocAndersen (50530)
that is a great question - i suspect instinct is the answer.
• Israel
@DocAndersen Thanks Scott and I believe you are right it is instinct. I get very curious about things and want to know why they are the way they are.
@DocAndersen (50530)
@Hannihar i suspect there is a scientist that has studied that somewhere.
• Israel
@DocAndersen I have no idea and that is a good answer.
I've had both dogs and cats but never at the same time. I really don't know if they get along by instinct if they live together. Good question
• Israel
@Marilynda1225 Maybe not all get along but my dog came first and then the cat and they loved each other.
@Hannihar that's great that your dog and cat got along very well. I've seen pictures of dogs and cats all snuggled up against each other and it's so cute
• Israel
@Marilynda1225 Yes, it was good they got along and loved each other. I loved both of them so much and was so glad that my dog wanted to protect her little sister cat but outside she still wanted to chase other cats. When our cat would run from dogs she was not happy that they chased her.
@JimBo452020 (63865)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's a great question And one I don't think I have ever seen asked on Mylot before I have no idea about the answer to the question that you ask.
• Israel
@JimBo452020 Thank you Jim and that is ok you do not have the answer. I am glad you liked my post.
@JimBo452020 (63865)
• Montrose, Scotland
@Hannihar Not often we see a never asked question before
• Israel
@JimBo452020 I have no idea. I have wondered about that question for a long time. When I had my dog and used to take her out on walks when she wanted to chase a cat I used to tell her she had her own at home and did not have to chase cats. Maybe it is just something dogs do no matter what. I have no idea. I always wondered about it.
Mostly a dog would chase a cat.Here some think of dog and cat as "natural enemy".
• Israel
@changjiangzhibin89 Thank you and you are probably right on that.
@Hannihar You are welcome !
@sjvg1976 (30202)
Because they are enemies of each other so a dog always chases a cat. But when they live together maybe their enmity ends.
• Israel
@sjvg1976 That is a good one. I think it depends on the dog and the cat on whether they can live together inside in harmony and the dog's instinct is to chase cats outside. My dog always wanted to protect my cat from other dogs when they were inside together.
I cannot figure it out. Most of my pet dogs and cats are fighting each other before, during, and after at home.
• Israel
@Shavkat Maybe because you have more dogs and cats at home and they do not get along with one another because maybe each one wants your full attention. I had only one dog and one cat and the dog came first and the cat came 2nd and they just had a good bond with each other.
• Rockingham, Australia
When I was young, dogs and cats seemed to be natural enemies but now more and more they live at peace with one another.
• Israel
@JudyEv I do not know about other dogs and cats but I do know that my dog and cat really loved each other.
@Nawsheen (25113)
• Mauritius
Maybe he had a lot of affection for the cat at home. But don't feel the same way for the other cats which explains the chasing
• Israel
@Nawsheen Thank you very much. That is a great answer. That could be it.
@Janet357 (73741)
My father has two chihuahuas and a cat. they get along with each other.
• Israel
@Janet357 What happens when the dogs go out do they chase cats?
@sallypup (49003)
• Moses Lake, Washington
My Leah was loving with cats to a certain extent. This new addition, Rufus, is not to be trusted with cats and other smaller creatures. He is better than he was but I would not leave him alone with a cat. I guess I am saying I don't have an answer to your good question.
• Israel
@sallypup That is ok. I guess I will just wonder about it.
@maratai (8408)
Yes, in general, domestic cats and dogs will get along with each other. Because they meet every day, and are also very well cared for and taught discipline by their master. Very different from street dogs and stray cats. When they meet, they will fight.
• Israel
@maratai Not all cats and dogs that live together in a home get along. I was very lucky and others have been too. I witnessed my dog even though she had her own cat at home want to chase other cats outside so I cannot agree with what you wrote here.
@maratai (8408)
@Hannihar Yes, at my place, pet cats and dogs always live in harmony and peace. they are friends. Because maybe the person who raised him taught discipline to his cat and dog, and also gave them enough food.
• Israel
@maratai It is hard to get information from others. That is nice that they lived in your home in peace and harmony.
Ahh! When I was a youngster and living at my grandparent's house I woke one morning to see the house cat and our dear dog sleeping together. The cat was curled up against the dog. It was so sweet I will never forget it.
• Israel
@celticeagle I can see why you will never forget that. That was very special. When they were awake did they have special bond? Do you have a dog and cat now or any pets now?
@Hannihar ....We just have cats now. That happened when I was very young. Actually, they did have a special bond. The cat was being hurt up on the ditch bank one time and the dog heard it and went to help.
• Israel
@celticeagle What a good dog you had that wanted to help the cat.
I had a dog that liked to chase cats. He got one up a tree and watched it for a long time not allowing it to come down. I also had a dog and cat at the same time and they loved each other.
• Israel
@just4him I understand what you are saying Valerie. I just checked to see if Netflix here has News of the World and did not see it. I just saw News World and I believe I saw that one.
@Hannihar It's not on Netflix. I don't think any streaming channel has it. I have it in my video library.
• Israel
@just4him I thought I found it the first time I checked but I guess not. Maybe it will come here eventually.
We have had dogs and cats living together in harmony.
• Israel
@allknowing That is nice but what happens when the dog is outside and sees a cat, does he run after it or not?
@Hannihar That is a big story Preiti took time to befriend cats (lol)
• Israel
@allknowing I bet it does take time to befriend them. So, I take it he does not chase them outside or does he or she?
@nela13 (44830)
• Portugal
My dog and my cat are quite friendly but my dog still chase other cats.
• Israel
@nela13 Do you have any idea why your dog outside chases other cats when he or she has one at home?
@nela13 (44830)
• Portugal
@Hannihar they grew together, I think they see each other as brothers. The other cats aren't his brothers.
• Israel
@nela13 Thank you for explaining that to me.
Hello, In my opinion is their instinct, as ususally cats are smaller than dogs they will chase them like a haunting instic, just as they chase bunnys and mice, also I think is like who has the control or which one is the strongest thing between animals. Like cats go behind mice, small birds and lizards. In my case my cat was here before my dog, and he reallyy respect her. Since day one she showed him that she was the one making the rules, they love each other really much, they sleep together, always be together when shes home with the food, in the other hand, as my cat only like dog food, first she eats and then he eats. So I would say is just natural instincs. (This is just my opnion, Im not a professional in that area)
• Israel
@cafeconleche353 I found that when my dog passed away and I still had my cat she did not want any other pets in our home. I did not know about chasing bunnies and mice. Maybe it depends on the animal and if they were taught discipline and manners before they came to you. My cat I have now was left to die so she has a biting problem. My other cat only bit me once because I was fighting with someone in our home and she did not like it. She was well behaved other than that and if she did not like someone she might hiss at them. I believe you are right that it is instinct.
@Hannihar i guess we ll never know
• Israel
@cafeconleche353 You are probably right there.
@florelway (20491)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
We have cats and dogs, they don't fight
• Israel
@florelway Inside they get along but what happens when the dog is outside and sees a cat that is not one of the family does he or she want to go after the cat or not?
@florelway (20491)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Hannihar I haven't observed that but I only noticed they're only after another dogs.
• Israel
@florelway I have seen dogs chase after cats here in Israel.
I have had dogs and cats that loved each other as well. These days, only dogs.
• Israel
@BelleStarr That was the only dog I actually had. I would like another but l prefer labs or huskies and they are big dogs so just Sophie and I. Sophie was left to die at a very young age so she never learned manners so just her and me and no other pets. Not sure she would get along with other pets so I only have her and I know it is hard for her because she does not understand when I have to work on the computer and that takes away her attention from me. So when you had cats and dogs and the dogs went outside did they want to chase cats even though they had them at home?
@Hannihar Not that I remember.
• Israel
@BelleStarr ok and thanks.
@CarolDM (157901)
I would say that is instinct.
• Israel
@CarolDM Thank you Carol and that could be it.
@CarolDM (157901)