Another ‘first’ for me

Rockingham, Australia
Tomorrow, I have to go to the dentist. Nothing special about that I suppose except that I’ve never been to this one before and I get a bit ‘thingy’ about dentists. As a child, we only ever went to the dentist to have teeth out so it was always an ordeal. I had a lot of faith in my previous dentist but tomorrow’s is an unknown quantity. Someone in our village has recommended the practice so I hope they’re right. I guess I’ll have something to write about anyway. Subjects are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. The photo was taken by Vince with permission of our previous dentist.
@xFiacre (10433)
@judyev So I see from Vince’s photos that you prefer good looking young male dentists with modern hairstyles. I prefer tiny girls since they have tiny, nimble little fingers rather than big sausages that some male dentists have. But my best dentist was a man I went to school with. He’s now in jail for murdering his wife. Then I was treated by an itinerant dentist in Malawi whose drill was powered by a treadle sewing machine. I’m sure I’ve mentioned him before. All the best for tomorrow.
• Rockingham, Australia
There used to be clippers for clipping horses and you had to turn a handle rapidly to get the blades to work. Your dentist visits sound a bit primitive. Thanks for the good wishes.
@xFiacre that sounds like a soap opera
@xFiacre (10433)
@shaggin My life has on several occasions been referred to thusly.
@DaddyEvil (68570)
I hate trusting "new" dentists... You never know what kind of treatment you'll receive. Good luck tomorrow.
• Rockingham, Australia
Nowadays most of them seem to be well trained so I'm hoping for the best.
@DaddyEvil (68570)
@JudyEv That's not always true in the US.
• Rockingham, Australia
@DaddyEvil I asked for recommendations from the people in the village so hopefully I'll be okay.
I like your previous dentist, nice, happy face. I am never happy when I have to go to see my dentist. Good luck.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. This practice has been recommended so I hope the dentist I get is kind. I made the appointment online. The name seems to be Indian but I can't tell if it's a male or a female.
@JudyEv I hope you will like the dentist. I changed mine, after he pulled out my wisdom tooth and caused a bad infection I did not trust him anymore.
• Rockingham, Australia
@LadyDuck I am hoping I don't have to have this one pulled out.
• Israel
@JudyEv My previous dentist I went to at a small place and then he moved to a bigger and left so I had to try others and found one that was fine but I kept putting off going to her. The dentist I have now before the corona when I went to the dental hygienist he made sure I scheduled him afterwards. Since the corona I only go to the dental hygienist. So if you went already because today is when you would be going how did it go? I also do not like going to the dentist. I have to go twice a year.
• Rockingham, Australia
I have to go this afternoon and if I like him/her I'll go every six months too.
• Israel
@JudyEv Good luck and hope it went or goes well if you did not go yet.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Hannihar I didn't do my homework and got totally lost so I had to make another appointment.
@moffittjc (102580)
• Gainesville, Florida
I’ve never had to go to the dentist for anything except routine cleanings, so I never feel apprehensive about such visits. Hope everything goes well on your visit.
• Rockingham, Australia
I applaud you. That's really good. When I was a child, you only went to the dentist if you had an aching tooth which usually meant an extraction. So many of my era find dentists' visits a bit daunting.
@moffittjc (102580)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I remember my parents felt that way about dentists. Thankfully, my mom wanted it to be a different experience for my brother and I, so we always went twice a year for preventative care and cleaning.
• Rockingham, Australia
@moffittjc My daughter-in-law never needs any treatment either which is very fortunate as she is caeliac. There is gluten in some of the products the dentist uses. There is probably gluten in toothpaste but I don't know that.
I went to the dentist every 6 months as a kid and adult and so do my kids. My kids have good teeth but my step son will only brush his teeth in the mornings and every time I take him back for a cleaning every 6 months he has a new cavity it drives me nuts!
• Rockingham, Australia
I was terrible about brushing my teeth as a child and I've paid the price since. I look after them now but some of the damage has already been done.
@JudyEv that’s what I’m worried about with him .
• Rockingham, Australia
@shaggin If he only brushes once a day, it might be best for him to do it at night so he doesn't go all night with the remains of his dinner in his teeth. Just sayin' and I realise you may not have much say in the matter.
@moonandstars (53193)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i hope it went well. nice photo.
• Rockingham, Australia
In the end, I didn't get there. I lost my way and eventually came home. I have a new appointment for 24th.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@JudyEv sorry. happened to me too. well, that's not too far away. 8 more days. will you endure the pain or discomfort?
• Rockingham, Australia
@moonandstars Thankfully, the tooth isn't worrying me but because a tiny piece has broken off, I need to get it seen to.
@nela13 (48005)
• Portugal
I am also very particular about the dentists. Hope you like this new one.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm hoping so too. Mostly, they seem to be more considerate perhaps than the older-style dentists.
@nela13 (48005)
• Portugal
@JudyEv My parents say horrible things about older-style dentists.
• Rockingham, Australia
@nela13 I was only sent to the dentist if I had an aching tooth so it was nearly always meant an extraction which wasn't fun.
@oahuwriter (19756)
Since they're recommend, they're good, so try not to worry.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's true and I'm not TOO concerned - just a little bit. I'm hoping they won't want to take the tooth out.
@oahuwriter (19756)
@JudyEv I hate tooth extraction, too. You know, when I was younger, I didn't bleed too long. Now, it takes a day and lot of gauzes to finally stop the bleeding!
• Rockingham, Australia
@oahuwriter I used to bleed a lot even as a child. It would be all over the pillow after I'd had a sleep.
@CarolDM (168920)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I wish you lots of luck at your appointment. A cute dentist here.
• Rockingham, Australia
Our dentist was very kind and sweet. I just hope the next one is.
@CarolDM (168920)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@JudyEv I do as well.
• Rockingham, Australia
@CarolDM Thanks
@DocAndersen (55526)
change is always hard, hopefully all goes well!
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. Most seem different to those from when I was a kid.
@DocAndersen (55526)
@JudyEv i have had the same hairstyle for many years. my wife makes fun of me.
• Rockingham, Australia
@DocAndersen It's a bit different for guys. Vince's hasn't changed for years either.
@cacay1 (67127)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hoping you're teeth found no problem. You got a cute young and handsome dentist. Is he an Australian or Asian?
• Rockingham, Australia
He is not our dentist now but he was Asian.
@cacay1 (67127)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JudyEv he's face sounds Asian
• Rockingham, Australia
@cacay1 Yes, it does. He was very kind and considerate.
@averygirl72 (28609)
I often go to the dentist after two or three years for toothache and I always have tooth extraction
• Rockingham, Australia
Since I started brushing my teeth very regularly and flossing, I haven't had to have any extractions. I now go every six months for a check-up. If you do this, you could probably have fillings rather than extractions.
@averygirl72 (28609)
@JudyEv Yes thank you I will do that
@bunnybon7 (48518)
• Holiday, Florida
No one likes going to the dentist. Not only the fear of pain but the numbness of hours to come.
• Rockingham, Australia
When I was young, mostly you didn't go to a dentist unless you had a toothache which then usually meant an extraction. That wasn't much fun for a kid.
@bunnybon7 (48518)
• Holiday, Florida
@JudyEv yes me too. when I was young.
@sharonelton (6922)
• Lichfield, England
I haven't been to the dentist since I think Oct 2019, because then the virus happened and I told my dentist that I don't want to go back until we get back to normal and we don't have to wear a mask and we can sit and wait in the waiting room as usual. (Actually I don't want to go back at all, but there you go).
• Rockingham, Australia
I wonder what will happen when our borders open - whether dentists will shut their doors or whatever.
• Lichfield, England
@JudyEv Hmmm. I don't know.....
@RubyHawk (50088)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don’t like going to a dentist and my regular dentist has retired. I’ll have to go to the one who’s taken over his practices or find another one.
• Rockingham, Australia
You get used to the one person then get a bit anxious when you have to change. At least, that's how it is with me.
@RubyHawk (50088)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv I’m the same way. I had the same dentist for thirty years.
@BarBaraPrz (34786)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
What happened to your 'old' dentist?
• Rockingham, Australia
We move 2 1/2 hours away so best to find someone closer.
@BarBaraPrz (34786)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JudyEv Ah, I see. Good luck with the new one.
I am surprised that it is the first time you see a dentist after grown-up.Hope everything goes well at the dentist's.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm sorry but I've misled you. I went regularly from our previous home but now we have shifted to the city and I have to find a new dentist.
@JudyEv That's all right ! It was I who got it wrong !
Having to go to the dentist is never fun but going to a new one is stressful. I hope it is a good experience for you.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks, I hope so too.
I have a dentist I like, but I am needing to see if my new version of Medicare has them in network.I am in the middle of a long process of fixing my smile, getting crowns and such. I hope the person who recommends is correct. I agree, I am having a hard time finding new things to share here.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thankfully, our system is different. As long as the professional is qualified, Medicare and health insurance funds will pay out, depending on your level of care of course in the case of private health insurance companies.