The Mystery of the So-so Tupperware

By ‘S
@sol_cee (31432)
When I was in elementary school, we had our Christmas party potluck. Two of my classmates brought spaghetti for everyone to share. Yey! After the party and when everyone was full, these two girls started arguing. It so happened that both of them put their spaghetti in yellow Tupperware Salad bowl container (photo above). One of the containers though had a lot of scratches and looked old while the other one looked newly bought (or newly paid? Installment style for Tupperware stuff was in then.) Neither of them wanted to get the scratch-filled container because they were afraid their moms would be angry. They started crying and our teacher was put on the spot. Tupperware was a big deal before and teacher had to tread carefully. I honestly don’t know what happened because I left home early. I didn’t need the drama of the Tupperware. Title inspired by Nancy Drew mystery books. Do you have any Tupperware food containers at home?
@Gillygirl (47144)
• Sutton, England
I remember my mum had Tupperware parties. I have supermarket own brand food containers
@sol_cee (31432)
That’s cute. So those with no Tupperware couldn’t join?
My Mom had one Tupperware party,
@marlina I had some myself and went to many
@brokenbee (10619)
I remember we had that tupperware container before... But it's gone when my sister in law stayed here. Actually almost all of my mother's tupperwares (and other stuff) were gone when my parents were out of the country...
@sol_cee (31432)
Gone meaning they went away on vacation too? Lolll
@sol_cee (31432)
Did your SIL ‘borrow’ it?
@brokenbee (10619)
@sol_cee Hihihi yup they are gone... Lost... hmmmmm
@DaddyEvil (86604)
We had that Tupperware container when I was a kid! (WOW! You're old! )
@sol_cee (31432)
Heyyyyy you know how far behind we are from everything trendy that is USA made Is it from the US? You just want to know how old I am
@DaddyEvil (86604)
@sol_cee I know you're a little "backward" but seem okay otherwise... It takes a day or two for trends from the US to reach that far. Yes, that style was trendy 50 years ago here. And yes, I'm sure that's "Made in China" now. Most stuff like that is from China. If I was curious about your age, I'd just ask. I'm not shy.
@sol_cee (31432)
@DaddyEvil we are ‘far’ behind because we are the Far East loll Sometimes you’re shy, most of the time you’re not
@sunrisefan (28727)
I remember that Tupperware would replace your item if it is bitten by the rat.
@sol_cee (31432)
Only rats?
@sunrisefan (28727)
@sol_cee Even if you bite it yourself :) It's only rats that usually bite the Tupperware. Logging off for awhile. Woke up at 3Am this morning and waking up at the same time tomorrow because we're going to Cebu to have an ocular inspection of the generators for the hotel and also take a look of the STP we're planning to install. See you later!
@sol_cee (31432)
@sunrisefan be careful in Cebu. Bring me pasalubong loll
@moffittjc (106219)
• Gainesville, Florida
My parents had Tupperware containers, but I don't have any in my house. I didn't even know Tupperware was still around! Do you read Nancy Drew mysteries? Those are good books. I read all the Hardy Boys mysteries when I was a kid, and also read quite a few of the Nancy Drew books. I love a good mystery!
@sol_cee (31432)
Me either. I thought they’re bankrupt or something. Oopppss
@moffittjc (106219)
• Gainesville, Florida
@sol_cee There are so many cheaper plastic storage containers available these days that I wouldn't be surprised if Tupperware went bankrupt. Their products were more expensive than other brands.
@sol_cee (31432)
@moffittjc yeah, but do you know we could pawn it here? Depending on the condition of the Tupperware product of course
In the past I had a Tupperware lunch box. It is OK but I don't really think it is so fantastic, especially it is expensive. Now I prefer to use glass lunch box and I like it more. I think no matter what the glass is better than the plastic. The glass containers work well and durable. Of course it is heavier and sometimes it is easy to be broken but I don't really mind it.
@sol_cee (31432)
Glass containers need extra care for usage and cleanup. I’d be stressed out lolll
@sol_cee Really? I even think washing the glass containers is easier than plastic ones.
@sol_cee (31432)
@youless that’s because I broke a lot of glasses and it’s kinda traumatic lolll
@Rashnag (28209)
• Surat, India
It's a funny story. Glad to know about it. We didn't had any such problems with myself or others to think of. Anyways. Take care
@sol_cee (31432)
Hi there. Is Tupperware a known brand in your country?
@Rashnag (28209)
• Surat, India
@sol_cee Yes it's a well known brand here too in India
@CarolDM (187092)
Yes I have a lot of Tupperware bowls. They are great.
@sol_cee (31432)
My mom had a lot of the same color -all yellow lol
@CarolDM (187092)
@sol_cee They make them in cool colors now.
@sol_cee (31432)
@CarolDM oh yeah you’re right. A friend posted Tupperware stuff that she’s selling online and they look so nice in different vibrant colors
• Rockingham, Australia
Oh dear, poor teacher, poor girls. I have quite a lot of Tupperware and get a lot of use from it.
@sol_cee (31432)
Do they last long?
• Rockingham, Australia
@sol_cee Only about 50 years or so!! That's how long I've had some of mine.
@sol_cee (31432)
@JudyEv that’s a good number. Tupperware would be happy
I've had tupperware and use generic containers and I really don't like them because over time they wear out and look bad. That said, when I do a potluck I always make sure my name is on the container.
@sol_cee (31432)
Back then they could pawn Tupperware stuff (maybe where I live only?) and writing something on the Tupperware would lower its value or something like that
@sol_cee Seriously? Wow, yeah I don't think we had that issue here in the States.
@askme123 (5325)
Never heard of tupperware.However the story is interesting.
@sol_cee (31432)
Oh I really thought Tupperware is everywhere
@askme123 (5325)
@sol_cee Nope none in my neck of the woods.
I don't have Tupperware but my mom had some (I think my aunt or someone sold them for a while). I only sent disposable containers when my kids brought shareables to school .
@sol_cee (31432)
I grew up using Tupperware lunchboxes and they’re so so. But I like Japanese lunchboxes more especially those insulated ones
@sol_cee Ohhh, you know what - I think we may have had that lunchbox set too . . . I think it was red. Yah, I like the bento boxes too . . . we use them when we go somewhere like hiking.
@RebeccasFarm (66821)
Oh sad I had Tupperware and was going to be a seller of it but never got around to it.
@sol_cee (31432)
Oh I think it’s a good side business
@sol_cee I am not sure if it is today though
I remember having those exact containers. They were a pain to clean because of the little things in the cover. I got rid of them
@sol_cee (31432)
Lol yeah my mom had that one before and some others but all of the same yellow color
@sol_cee we had 3 different colors
I had some Tupperware, but I dislike to keep food in plastic containers, so in recent years I bought glass containers with lead from Ikea.
@sol_cee (31432)
Ikea is a good place to buy stuff. Unfortunately we don’t have one here in my city
@sol_cee Ikea is 15 minutes drive from home, but we can order online if we do not want to go there.
@arunima25 (74907)
• Bangalore, India
Tupperware was a brand back then and too much in trend. Most of my kitchen containers are now in steel and glass. But I still have a couple of Tupperware. I am not for any plastics in my kitchen. That's a funny story and I am sure that teacher was in a tough spot
@sol_cee (31432)
I thought the company went under but I saw their office yesterday in my city and it was open
@arunima25 (74907)
• Bangalore, India
@sol_cee Yes, they are still there and still a trusted brand. But now here I find more and more people going for plastic free kitchen. So, they are not that much in demand but still their business is going on good.
I have some pitchers and tumblers, but I much prefer glass.
@sol_cee (31432)
I had a Tupperware water bottle before but it was stolen
@Mari_22 (131)
yes we do :)
@sol_cee (31432)
Are you a Tupperware baby? Loll
Yes, we have a couple here at home
@sol_cee (31432)
Every mother in the Philippines must own one? Lolll
I had a set of those exact Tupperware containers too. I do have some Tupperware but not as much as I had years ago
@sol_cee (31432)
My mom said it was a nice investment?