Hunting for my bag needles

Rockingham, Australia
Some years ago, I used to make mats from the strings that hold bales of hay together. The mats aren’t fancy but do last a long time and are suitable at back doors or garage entries, etc. I call the string ‘binder twine’ as that’s the name I know it by. It was first used in binders to make sheaf hay. It isn’t used so much with the big round bales. When we visited the place where we’ll be house-sitting, there was a great sheaf of strings so I asked if I could use some of it. I knew I wouldn’t have thrown out my bag needles which I use to make the mats. They may not even be made anymore as no-one sews up bags of grain these days. After a bit of a search, I found three needles of different sizes. I gave them a bit of a rub with sandpaper and they’re now packed ready to go. I don’t think I can make one in a fortnight but, if I do, I’ll give it to the folks whose house we’re minding.
I remember that my grandmother had those needles, oh my I fear they are lost. What a great idea to make those mats.
@BarBaraPrz (37645)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Did your grandmother make braided rag rugs?
@BarBaraPrz NO, I do not know for what they used those needles, but I know that I have seen those in her home.
@kobesbuddy (153060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@BarBaraPrz My mother made braided rag rugs, here's one that she made:)
I remember when you used to make those mats. In my Gramma's day they made rag mats which these remind me of. I like the waste not want not strategy behind the materials used for these. The people you're house sitting for will love to come back and find a new pretty mat outside of a door.
• Rockingham, Australia
If I don't get it finished, I'll take it home to finish and give it to them later. They have said I can have the string.
@JudyEv I should research to see if I can find something like that to do.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Juliaacv I might research how to make one from bread wrappers. I get lots of them over time.
May be you can go for door mats which are much smaller
@JudyEv You can make a set of table mats.
• Rockingham, Australia
I could but I want them to be big enough to be functional. I'd rather finish one off at home and give it to them later. We see them from time to time at rides.
• Rockingham, Australia
@allknowing They are not nice enough for table mats - too rough really.
What a neat mat you made and very strange looking needle
Oh good grief, I just took another look at the photo and realized what I'm looking at are 3 needles, not just one. I haven't seen thick needles like that as no one I know has ever worked on upholstery.
• Rockingham, Australia
Upholstery needles are a bit similar but some are even more curved.
• Rockingham, Australia
@rebelann These were used for sewing bags of grains so are much tougher and longer than upholstery needles.
@FourWalls (45860)
That’s a wonderful talent to have! I barely know how to knit. I hope you can get a rug done while Vince is taking photos of all the antiques!
@FourWalls (45860)
@JudyEv Yeah, put him to work!!!!
• Rockingham, Australia
Maybe Jim Cockatoo can bring me more string when I need it.
@DaddyEvil (88283)
We called that "binder twine", too. Dad always wanted it to keep for tinder to start our wood burning stove with in the winter time. I think I'd make off with enough of that, after finishing their door mat, to make a rug for your back door or garage door, too.(Yes, I'd ask first. )
@DaddyEvil (88283)
@JudyEv Oh, nice... Yeah, a plastic-y cord that's hard to use for anything else now days.
• Rockingham, Australia
They have said I can have the string but I'll leave some. They get more all the time though. The twine nowadays is a type of plastic I think. I don't think it would make good tinder.
@RebeccasFarm (67765)
You are great to do these little mats Judy..how ingenious and pretty even to me. I had never seen these needles.
@JudyEv I bet they do Judy. I would like one of those Oh they are tiny needles then.
• Rockingham, Australia
@RebeccasFarm Sorry - no, the needles are 6 - 8 inches long.
• Rockingham, Australia
They are about six inches long. I should have put something next to them to show the size better. The mats are floor mats. The strings last for years.
@kobesbuddy (153060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This is a wonderful craft, using binder twine. My grandma would get rectangular bales of hay delivered for the winter. They were bound with this intertwined string. I never learned how to make a mat, but this is a wonderful way to use leftover binder twine! They will love it
• Rockingham, Australia
I was pleased I learnt to do this. I think my Mum learnt it first at one of her CWA meetings. (Country Women's Association) It's good to make something from what seems useless material.
@kobesbuddy (153060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv Mom would cut rags, then braid them together. She made lovely braided rugs for her family!
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
This one of those things that you never think of, but of course, there are needles for making mats. So many things we know nothing about!
• Rockingham, Australia
I wonder if it's possible to overload our brains with useless information? We used to be told that most people only use 10% of the brain's capacity. I know a few people who use even less!!
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@JudyEv There was a discussion about that on Radio 4, the other day. One chap was arguing that storing information on phones is good as it we don't clutter up our brains. I think it is called attic theory!
@RubyHawk (67460)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Be sure to make a picture and let us see your handiwork.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'll do that and I'll put something with it so you can get an idea of the size.
@RubyHawk (67460)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv Please do. That will be interesting
• Israel
@JudyEv That would be a nice gift for them that they will be able to use for a long time. I am glad you found three of the needles and have them packed and ready to go with you when you housesit.
• Rockingham, Australia
I knew it wasn't something I would have thrown away but we did have to search to find them.
• Israel
@JudyEv I am so glad you found them and can make more mats for the nice people that you will be sitting for and their pets.
What a great idea to use these things that might be thrown away. It's a lovely mat also.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. I don't do them too often but I don't mind doing one now and again. And when I have a supply of string of course.
@oahuwriter (24705)
My sewing machine rug.
How nice! These mats looks very durable. My Mother and her friends, see together materials, to be an inch in width, then see ends making a big ball of material yarn. Crocheted them together to make rugs. I've this tiny rug, I put upon my sewing machine pedal.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's very pretty and a great idea.
@oahuwriter (24705)
@JudyEv Yes, our Moms sewed lots, so lots leftover material. These rugs made from all leftover material. She and her friends did a lot of sharing ideas and materials.
@moonandstars (60737)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
it is okay to give them away.
• Rockingham, Australia
I only need one or two for myself so after that I give them away.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@JudyEv very economic of you
It is great and practical to repurpose and reuse things like this. Your image looks great. I was thinking of our square bales here. Usually the twine on them is orange.
• Rockingham, Australia
We used to get orange twine and sometimes black or green. I used to mix and match the colours but now it always seems to be blue. It's more plasticky now and doesn't rot as easily as the older type twine.
I hope you can make one before you leave.
• Rockingham, Australia
I might be battling as they are quite slow to do.
@LeaPea2417 (34502)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have tried to do embroidery with needles.
• Rockingham, Australia
We learnt embroidery at school. My sister was really good at it but I'm not so good.
• Midland, Michigan
I've never heard of doing that before but I've seen things made here with recycled plastics before although I don't remember how they were put. together
• Rockingham, Australia
You can make mats with bread wrappers. I might investigate that one day.
That would be a very nice gift to leave with them.
• Rockingham, Australia
It's something they can use and they don't have to be worried about breaking it/getting it dirty/etc.
@Ganma7 (3478)
What a great idea! Please take a photo of one!
• Rockingham, Australia
The top photo is what I'll be making.