Making YouTube Videos

@Ronrybs (16009)
London, England
I have been experimenting with making videos to accompany the little articles of my historical and quirky rambles. I thought it wouldn’t take long to turn out a video, but it proved to be quite involved. At first I would get so absorbed by editing that I would forget meals. Now I stick to no more than two hours in front of the editor control panel and take a break for a cup of tea! Instead of commentating as I record the video, which didn’t turn out at all well, I now record a voice over at a later time and keep the background sounds of the video. Still have a few knots to untangle on that one. The picture shows the editor control panel as I worked on the Roman Walls video. On this editor, I can fade in/out video, make title segments and edit the voice over parts. It is quite impressive what you can do on a home computer and I have barely scratched the surface of what can be done. Still, I don’t think Steven Spielberg has anything to worry about!
@DaddyEvil (88264)
Oh, yes, I've edited videos for friends before... It's time consuming and fascinating at the same time... Like you, I forget to eat and drink when I'm really absorbed in what I'm doing.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
Yes, you do get caught up in the detail of the thing!
It's easy to get caught up when we are so interested in something.
@DaddyEvil (88264)
@Ronrybs I always thought it was just me that did that.
@luisga814 (4968)
• Quezon City, Philippines
What video editor are you using?
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
This one is Pinnacle Studio. I bought it as a download
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@luisga814 There are a lot out there. I think the Pinnacle runs around the £120. Depending on what you what to do there are cheaper ones out there. Of course, YouTube is a good source for tutorial videos on your chosen editor
@luisga814 (4968)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@Ronrybs Cheers!
I only downloaded a slide-show on YouTube and it happened ages ago. I am curious to check how the editor works.
@Ronrybs I have a few video editors that I received free some years ago. I enlarged your photo and I have this one.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I only got this editor as a friend used it. There are so many out there and some must be better suited to YouTube, but I am sticking what I know. As t how it works, I think magic and leave it at that!
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@LadyDuck My editor is a Pinnacle Studio, 21 I think is the version.
• Rockingham, Australia
That looks very complicated but from the videos of yours that I've seen, you're certainly getting there. It's a bit like photo editors. There seems no end to what you can and can't do. The old saying 'the camera never lies' doesn't hold water now.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Ronrybs Some years back, I managed to put up slide shows using YouTube's slide show option but they've stopped that now and I've never got around to working out how to do it with another program.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@JudyEv I never knew YouTube had a slideshow option, let alone use it! I know that on my picture folder there is a slideshow mode, but I don't think you can export it
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
So times there seems to be too many options! I try to use a new option each time, but I don't want it to be too 'gimmicky', so I probably stick to a few simple basics
@aninditasen (7848)
• Raurkela, India
I would love to make some videos and convert them to into you tubes but can't do it.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I short of fell into it. Once I had a video camera and wanted to make videos on my exploring walks, a video editor was the next step. You can find tutorials on YouTube on how to use one and there are even tips on making your own YouTube channel
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@aninditasen If you take video, edit it to your taste and then convert into an MP4 you're ready to upload to YouTube
• Raurkela, India
@Ronrybs I tried to follow them but I think they are not giving all the details especially converting the video into a YouTube.
@porwest (55521)
Computers make the creative process much easier than it ever was before. I use software for music production and editing. I could never have done that before computers.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I know what you mean. I have a fairly basic audio editor and it is amazing what it can do. The computing revolution has turned so many things upside down.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
@porwest The other side of the coin is that people with no talent are celebs!
@porwest (55521)
@Ronrybs It really has. But it has also made a lot more talent accessible to people, and made it much easier to share it. It is so strange to think that some people now become celebrities simply through the Internet.
It sounds like an entertaining hobby.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
It certainly keeps you busy, but I should get better and quicker at making them
You will get really good at it in time.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
Indeed, it is just a matter of practice. I have started another one and we shall see how we get on
All of that boggles my mind and I admire that you're able to do a video for YouTube
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
It is a bit of a slog, learning as I go along so I should get faster at making them
@Dena91 (18117)
It is very satisfying to learn how to make your own videos. I did some but then got away from it. I need to go back and do some more.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
It is good to finish one, but I am then thinking about the next one. Hope you get back into it, quite demanding but satisfying to do
It looks very difficult to me. I can see why it would be better to voice over at a later time.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
Once I have gotten the hang of it, not so bad, but it can be time consuming. Recording voice later makes sense to me, as I can have as many goes as I want and not have to constantly keep re-shooting the same piece of video
@BabeSays (6594)
• Mauritius
Few years back I used to make tutorials on YouTube and was doing really good. They were based on education software videos. Unfortunately I got reported by lots of Indians and my account also got banned. They reported me because I did a giveaway and they didn’t win it. Ever since I stopped making videos on YouTube.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
That's a bit rough! I have heard about things like that happen and YouTube being too quick to ban someone on no evidence
@BabeSays (6594)
• Mauritius
@Ronrybs Yes it was and very discouraging.
@cabuyogty (1393)
I hope i can watch your youtube video and wish that i can go in London . That castle looks beautiful
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I am planning to do some more videos of my travels to what I hope are interesting places
@LouAvul (274)
It's amazing the power we have in our hands with today's technology.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
For some of it you need a sure grip, it is so fragile! I think laptop computers are one of the major points in tech history. Now we can all be film directors, editors and record and edit our music
@divalounger (5843)
I am thinking of doing youtube videos for Russian diction in classically composed songs and choral pieces--there seems to be a dearth of them on youtube--and I have the language skills--so, it is just a matter of learning how to video myself speaking the text and perhaps including some IPA (International phonetic alphabet) for the text--so following this discussion!
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I hear that is the secret, to find that niche! If you plan to edit yourself, be prepared to spend some time on it
@LeaPea2417 (34502)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It does seem like a big job to make quality YouTube videos.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
At the moment is a bit involved, but as I get used to the system I should get faster!
I am too old now to experiment with too many things. But congratulations for trying a new thing.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
Never to old to learn! Course, it helps if you are interested in editing to begin with!
@Deepizzaguy (69649)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I understand that money can be made editing videos from a computer to be uploaded to You Tube. At least you are enjoying your work.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I think you need to get several thousands of subscribers to start earning on YouTube. I am not sure about offering editing services, but I am sure there is a market out there!
@RubyHawk (67460)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It looks very complicated to me.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
I think it is pretty much like driving a car. Once you get started, you grow your knowledge and move onto bigger projects
Ha ha. Keep at it and you will definitely get it right.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
It is a learning process and slowly getting there!