Domino's, Pizza Hut or Something Else?

@LindaOHio (103675)
Domino's was founded in 1960 by two brothers who bought a small pizza restaurant and chain in Ypsilanti, Michigan, called DomNick's. They made a $500 down payment and borrowed $900. Within 8 months one brother traded his half of the business for the Volkswagen Beetle that they used for deliveries. Renamed Domino's in 1965, the logo was a domino with three dots to represent the three stores. The first franchise location was opened in 1967. In 1998 93% of the business was sold for $1 billion; and the owner retired. In 2018 there were 15,000 stores, 5,649 of which were in the United States. +++++++++++ Pizza Hut was founded in 1958 by two brothers. Within a year they had opened 6 restaurants and began franchising in 1959. PepsiCo acquired Pizza Hut in 1977. In 1997 Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) became part of a new company called Tricon Global Restaurants. In 2002 they became Yumi Brands. They rebranded in 2014 due to dropping sales...the menu was expanded and uniforms refreshed. In 2019 the red roof and logo design that was used from 1976-1999 was brought back. As of 2020 there were 17,639 restaurants worldwide. +++++++++++ We prefer Pizza Hut. When Domino's redid their pizza some years ago, the sauce was too spicy for our liking. We always get the deep dish pizza. What is your favorite place to get pizza and why? Domino's, Pizza Hut or something else? Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons
None of the two are present here, I make my own.
@LindaOHio (103675)
That's even better!
@LindaOHio Home made is always better, I have a pizza oven at home.
@ladyduck I plan on buying a pizza crust and toppings and make a semi-homemade pizza sometime next week.
• Rupert, Idaho
I prefer pizza hut too...plus they have stuffed crust! The best lol
@LindaOHio (103675)
The more cheese the better!
The couple times we ordered Pizza Hut my sister said she doesn't like stuffed crust and I don't assert myself and i just let her do what she wants. Not worth arguing. I refuse to use hirritation in my voice like she does withi me. I adore stuffed crust pizza!
• Rupert, Idaho
@LindaOHio Yes, that is true
@wolfgirl569 (61136)
• Marion, Ohio
Of those 2 Pizza Hut is our favorite. But we are very happy with the local place.
@wolfgirl569 (61136)
• Marion, Ohio
@LindaOHio Ours has a good selection. Including different types of subs, salads, and lasagna. And my smothered potatoes
@LindaOHio (103675)
@wolfgirl569 The only thing with our local restaurant is that the pizza is twice the price of Pizza Hut's.
@LindaOHio (103675)
We haven't really tried the local pizza places. We should.
@porwest (58446)
I like Dominos and both have interesting stories as to how they became to be. That being said, perhaps there is a local mom and pop shop nearby you could try? Whenever I can support a small business, I always feel that is the best way to go.
@LindaOHio (103675)
There is one local place that we can try. It's further; but still...
@LindaOHio (103675)
@porwest What I don't like is that the local places charge double the amount for a pizza.
@porwest (58446)
@LindaOHio Probably worth it go the extra distance. Why give all the money to the big boys, is what I say.
@CarolDM (192258)
We order from Domino's for the convenience and have always enjoyed. Nothing at all wrong with chain restaurants. And I do enjoy visiting Olive Garden and Amerigo's for Italian food when I am in the area. Always satisfied.
@LindaOHio (103675)
Our Olive Garden is a little far; and their food is acceptable. We should try our local pizza place; but they are so much more expensive.
@LindaOHio (103675)
@CarolDM That's great. Anytime they are opening up a new store we get excited; but it's always something like a car wash...never a place to eat!
@CarolDM (192258)
@LindaOHio A new pizza place is opening up soon here. We are all excited.
@sica98 (2549)
Both but recently I am buying from Domino a lot more and I will be trying one of these new flavors of the month but I haven't decided which one yet .I'm thinking of trying Beef Bulgogi pizza savory spicy and sweet side of Korea, it is said to have juicy beef slices marinated in bulgogi sauce and perfectly baked on a fiery bed of Ssamjeang sauce that will set your taste buds on fire!.The only thing I'm worried about is the whether I can take the spiciness.
@LindaOHio (103675)
Interesting. We have nothing like that here.
@LindaOHio (103675)
@sica98 We have the standard toppings here...meatballs, sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, chicken, black olives, etc.
@sica98 (2549)
@LindaOHio What are your current flavor of the month in Domino.Here seems to be a korean craze in most of the fast food right now,how bout your side?
They are similar to me, even their price is similar. Since Pizza Hut is close to my home, so usually it is much more convenient for me to consume in Pizza Hut.
@LindaOHio (103675)
Thank you for commenting.
Here I like Pizza Nova
@LindaOHio (103675)
Our local restaurants charge double what Pizza Hut does unfortunately.
@DaddyEvil (94596)
We order pizza from a convenience store here in our city called Casey's. They make a pizza called Taco Pizza that is really good and they are a block away from our house.
@DaddyEvil (94596)
@LindaOHio It works for us. And, since nothing in our city delivers, it's convenient, too.
@DaddyEvil The only two good pizza places in my town don't deliver. The only places that deliver don't have good pizza at all.
@LindaOHio (103675)
That sounds like a good option.
@sol_cee (32530)
Interesting that both companies were founded by brothers
@LindaOHio (103675)
Yes it was. And both succeeded very well!
I have had Pizza Hut very seldom but never had Dominos. We don't go to Pizza Hut as there is a local one my sister adores. We have been getting pizza there since we were able to eat pizza!
@LindaOHio I think the local places are cheaper around here, or else my sister liked the pizza so much she paid for it!
@LindaOHio (103675)
@Marty1 I always order our Pizza Hut pizzas online (much cheaper than ordering at the Hut) and use their Deals menu.
@LindaOHio (103675)
Our local restaurants charge a lot more for their pizza.
@RubyHawk (70991)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I like Dominos and Pizza Hut But I like Mama Cozis frozen pizza better.
@RubyHawk (70991)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LindaOHio Its good with plenty of cheese.
@LindaOHio (103675)
I've never heard of that one. I'll have to look for it.
@oahuwriter (25974)
We got a Pizza Hut in the neighborhood, so Pizza Hut. Comes fast. I buy mostly frozen, doctor it up adding lots more pepperoni and cheese. Thin crust my favorite.
@LindaOHio (103675)
I like a lot of cheese too!
@oahuwriter (25974)
@LindaOHio Yes, gooey and yummy!
@Rashnag (28842)
• Surat, India
Glad to know about the history of Domino's and Pizza hut. It's interesting. I eat pizza very rarely nowadays. Priorly I use to like pizza hut but nowadays prefer Domino's. There is one local joint here named Den's Pizza in my city which serves good veg pizzas. I generally eat veg pizzas
@LindaOHio (103675)
@Rashnag Thank you. You take care as well.
@LindaOHio (103675)
I like a lot of veggies on my pizza too.
@Rashnag (28842)
• Surat, India
@LindaOHio Glad to know. Take care
@TheSojourner (55336)
I prefer to make my own.
@LindaOHio (103675)
That's even better!
That is impressive how the brothers built their empire. We always order from a family owned pizzeria, we find that the chains do not have fresh toppings but the small family shops do.
@LindaOHio (103675)
That's a good idea.
I have a Dominoes within walking distance but I never go out lately so I have some frozen pizza in the oven, Of course I will always miss NYC style pizza that was the very best.
@LindaOHio (103675)
It's nice not to have to go out and pick up food.
I don't do pizza from chain restaurants. I live in Jersey. We have the best pizza in the country and there is literally a mom and pop pizzeria on every corner. I don't eat at Olive Garden for the same reason.
@LindaOHio (103675)
It's good that you have excellent options.
@LouAvul (1092)
Of course Papa John's was founded here in Louisville and I worked in risk management for their corporate headquarters for a while, but I never liked their pizza. I'm a Pizza Hut fan.
@LindaOHio (103675)
We have a local place we should try; but it's further; and we never have tried it.
• Bandung, Indonesia
I prefer dominos, but i like Pizza Hut too
@LindaOHio (103675)
I would imagine the types of pizza are very different in your country than ours.