A Different Kind of Thanksgiving

@porwest (60561)
It always seems, for us, we never have a holiday on the actual holiday. Mostly it is because of my sister's schedule which has forever grated me. She knows about my complaint, so don't think she will be mad at me if she finds her way to this post. Our Thanksgiving will be on Saturday. But not without a little bit of a change in plans on my end. The wifey and I have to take the camper into Camping World for winterization and other services. It should not take that long—hopefully we just mainly drop it off. But it will hamper the day just a little bit for us. Nonetheless, tonight for dinner I will make pork and kraut in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots. A far cry from the usual turkey, but we will have enough of that on Saturday. Besides, I am not a huge fan of turkey anyway. Usually, this time of year, I tend to get an extra turkey just because they are so darn cheap. But this year so far none of the turkey prices have impressed me enough to spring for one. So, looks like this will be a single turkey year. By the way, to everyone here, have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
enjoy your day
@porwest (60561)
Thank you. You as well.
@DaddyEvil (103906)
Happy Thanksgiving!
@DaddyEvil (103906)
@porwest Thank you. We did.
@porwest (60561)
@DaddyEvil Oh. You do it like normal people and actually do Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving?
@porwest (60561)
Thank you, sir. You do the same.
@kaylachan (39867)
Well, my husband and I have never been real traditional. I'm making a favorite one pot meal tonight, and the turkey t.v. dinner we might've had last night, well we'll have it later.
@kaylachan (39867)
@porwest I don't know. It doesn't have bones and I don't have to ask my husband to cut it, because it comes diced.
@porwest (60561)
Is that turkey in a turkey TV dinner even turkey? lol I often wonder what part of the bird that actually comes from?
@moffittjc (108535)
• Gainesville, Florida
I only enjoy turkey if I can smoke it or deep-fry it. But I didn't have the option to do either this year. Which worked out okay in the end, because I was on my deathbed with the flu and ended up eating one slice of stale bread on Thanksgiving day. I was too sick to even get out of bed.
@moffittjc (108535)
• Gainesville, Florida
@porwest Unfortunately, I’m still sick. I have pneumonia now, that sh*t is firmly entrenched in my lungs. It’s a struggle to breathe right now.
@porwest (60561)
Sorry to hear you were sick. That's a bummer. I prefer smoked personally.
@porwest (60561)
@moffittjc Man, when it comes to health you get the worst. Two or three times Covid, now this. Do you take vitamins?
@noni1959 (9252)
We had prime rib, fig cheese bread, brussels sprouts with bacon, scalloped potatoes, pumpkin pie, sugarfree chocolate pie on pecan crust, and cranberry crumble bars. Far cry from everyone's traditional feast. We like turkey sandwiches but not fond of turkey otherwise so most my family makes something different. The blessings are still there. Turkey doesn't make thanksgiving.
Your Thanksgiving meal sounds terrific. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
@Fleura (23191)
That all sounds so delicious!
@noni1959 (9252)
@Fleura It was. I had some of the steak for lunch today.
• Rockingham, Australia
I hope you're having/have had a nice meal anyway. I'm sure you did.
@porwest (60561)
We had a fun day tooling around some camping areas relatively close to home and dinner was delicious.
Thanksgiving is not for everyone on the site. It is only an American holiday. It wouldn't make sense if the Europeans, Africans, Asians and South Americans celebrated what began as an autumn harvest festival organized by the English colonists of Plymouth (known also as the Pilgrims) who settled in New England in 1620.
@porwest (60561)
Have a lousy non-Thanksgiving day then.
@cacay1 (77133)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Have a happy Thanksgiving. Your food looks delicious.
@kobesbuddy (156897)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Your dinner sounds so delicious, tradition means nothing to me:) I've had so much dry turkey throughout the years, I'd relish having pork and kraut with potatoes&carrots! And the date for holidays, who decides which day is right? We celebrate any time we please
@LindaOHio (109732)
Pork and sauerkraut is good. A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I hope you enjoy your turkey dinner. We love turkey; and I ate too much!
@porwest (60561)
Turkey, for us, is just the tradition but never the highlight. I guess it's nice they're cheap and the stuff you can make with the leftovers is better than the original plate of the stuff...but I can't begrudge those who genuinely love turkey. If they could make a chicken the size of a turkey I'd prefer that.
@LindaOHio (109732)
@porwest Next year I think we will try and get a cooked turkey and then buy the sides. Will come out much cheaper than what Giant Eagle charged for the dinner.
@dgobucks226 (31581)
Turkey prices too high, what a surprise. No extra gobble gobble for you Anyhow, hope you had an excellent Thanksgiving time!
@Rashnag (29252)
• Surat, India
Glad to know about your schedule. Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone at home
@CarolDM (199109)
Happy Thanksgiving to you. Enjoy!
@porwest (60561)
To you as well and thank you.
@LouAvul (2396)
As Jerry Seinfeld once said, "People are the worst."
@porwest (60561)
Someone else said once, although I have no idea where the quote comes from, "If it weren't for people, the world would be a better place." lol. There is some truth to that methinks.
@RebeccasFarm (78252)
Same to you..hope it was nice for you and family.
@Fleura (23191)
Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving too, and also enjoy Saturday!