Update On Cousin ~ Learning A Lot

@CarolDM (201709)
Updating you on my cousin who spent the night in the ER last night. No rooms were available at the hospital. She called this morning at 10:am to let me know she is finally being admitted. First of all, she was not having another heart attack. What a relief. She has several things going on. They found an Aortic Aneurysm on a CT scan. I was worried all night about this finding. Not knowing the size or the location of the aneurysm. Her shoulder pain could have been an early warning sign, according to her doctor. Finally her doctor (Cardiologist) saw her today. He said the aneurysm is small enough to just wait and watch for now. She will have periodic CT scans to watch for any signs of changing or growing larger. They can rupture at any time. How scary is that. Thoracic aortic aneurysms usually grow slowly and often without symptoms and this makes it difficult to detect. There are some aneurysms, which will never rupture. Many of them start small and stay small and some increase in size gradually. The growth rate of an aneurysm is difficult to predict. The exact cause of thoracic aortic aneurysm is not known, but contributing factors to the development of an aneurysm include hypertension, high cholesterol, genetics, previous heart attack, etc. And she has Atrial Fibrillation. Her heart is racing and beating irregularly. This can happen for many reasons. Stress, heart issues, etc. The Electrophysiologist (specialized Cardiologist) shocked her heart this morning. Another scary thing to experience. Stopped her heart, then restarted it to get it back to a normal rhythm. This doctor will follow her to make sure it stays in rhythm. Thank you to those who have asked about my cousin. It means a lot. I have been very worried about her. She seems much better today. Not as stressed since she now knows what is going on. Hopefully she will be home soon.
@Gillygirl (47486)
• Sutton, England
I haven't been around much so didn't know Carol. I hope your cousin will be well enough to go home soon
@CarolDM (201709)
Always so happy to see you. And thank you. She has been though a lot lately.
@Gillygirl (47486)
• Sutton, England
@CarolDM It must have been so scary
@CarolDM (201709)
@Gillygirl I am hundreds of miles away but am keeping in touch. Her mother (blind) is at home worried sick.
@FourWalls (50839)
“They think.” Scares the daylights out of me, especially when it’s a loved one’s life they’re “thinking” with. Praying for her.
@CarolDM (201709)
Totally agree with you. Thanks so much for the prayers.
Knowing what is going on will surely reduce her stress. And it seems she is in good hands.
@CarolDM I have some numbness in my feet and a loaded feeling in the thighs when I stand for long. The doctor asked for a Dopler ultrasound test - a test that checks blood flow - no issues there I am wondering if it is my nerves that does that. Fed up of consulting doctors.
@CarolDM (201709)
I certainly hope so. She is resting now after being in the ER all night. She was admitted for observation.
@CarolDM (201709)
@allknowing I go to the doctor if I feel the need. And reputable doctors only. Take care.
@kaylachan (41638)
The important thing is that she's getting it taken care of and didn't wait. Heart issues are no joke and it's good to know she's being taken seriously.
@kaylachan (41638)
@CarolDM If she wants to live, she had better.
@CarolDM (201709)
@kaylachan I keep telling her that.
@CarolDM (201709)
Totally agree with you. I just hope she keeps her follow-up appointments.
@RebeccasFarm (84029)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Sounds like she has some very good doctors. But watching and waiting is very scary with something like this. Still I suppose they know the score there. Poor dear, I pray for her.
@CarolDM (201709)
Her doctors are not acting fast enough for me, but I am hundreds of miles away. Makes it hard. But at least she now knows what she is dealing with. I worry. Thank you.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@CarolDM Yes like you, I would have thought that urgency would have befitted that condition
@CarolDM (201709)
@RebeccasFarm She is resting in her room now. I just told her I hope she can rest now. She was in the ER all night. Not sure when she will go home yet.
I cannot imagine living with an aneurysm, the very thought frightens me. She must be a very strong person.
@CarolDM God bless her and give her courage, I am praying for her.
@CarolDM (201709)
I feel the same way. I would almost want them to get rid of it no matter the size. She is so overwhelmed right now. I hope she can find strength to get through this ordeal.
@CarolDM (201709)
@Juliaacv Thank you so very much. She finally made it home today.
@jobelbojel (34913)
I believe she has a good doctor. Hoping and praying that she is in good hands with the care of her doctor.
@CarolDM (201709)
She has many good doctors. Thanks.
Wishing her a good outlook.
@CarolDM (201709)
Thank you so much.
@DaddyEvil (111160)
Thank you for the update. I'm sorry she has so many problems and hope she is out of the hospital quickly and feeling much better.
@DaddyEvil (111160)
@CarolDM You're very welcome.
@CarolDM (201709)
And thank you for your kind words and thoughts.
@wolfgirl569 (69065)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad she is feeling better. Hope nothing is too serious. They now know what to watch
@CarolDM (201709)
Thanks, she had a nice restful sleep at home last night.
I hope she will be back on her feet again soon and her problems can be corrected, I will keep her in my prayers.
@CarolDM (201709)
Thank you very much. I hope so as well. She will be gong to a cardiac rehab several times a week when she is discharged. Much appreciate your prayers.
@garymarsh6 (23220)
What a worrying time for you all. Now she is on the radar they should keep a close eye on her. Try not to stress yourself out about it. I hope that she remains well & you too!
@CarolDM (201709)
Such a relief, she was discharged just today. Her third admission since October. I hope she does well. Good to see you.
That is scary. I'm glad she knows what's going on and the doctor will follow through with her.
@CarolDM That's a good thing. I'll keep her in my prayers.
@CarolDM (201709)
@just4him Much appreciated.
@CarolDM (201709)
Yes it has been a worrisome two days now. But at least we know what is going on.
@Dena91 (17912)
I am glad the doctors were able to find out all that was going on with your cousin. My Pop Pop had an aortic aneurysm which never gave him any trouble. The doctor just kept his eye on it. I've known people who have had to have their hearts shocked back into rhythm. I hope she continues to get better. I am sure you feel better now that you know what is going on with her.
@CarolDM (201709)
I was so relieved to find out earlier. Glad your Pop Pop had no trouble with his. That is encouraging. She is only 58. I certainly hope things get better for her. I do feel better but I will always worry.
@GreatMartin (23420)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I have lived with AFib for 22 years that I know of--have had 2 aortic valves replaced--and I'm still here!!
@CarolDM (201709)
I am glad to know you are still here Martin. She didn't know where the pain was coming from. Afraid of another heart attack. Glad she went. That along with this new aneurysm can be scary to live with.
That is scary to hear about your cousin. Interesting information about her aneurysm all of which I didn't know. I hope she is OK and that it doesn't grow or rupture Certainly is a scary thing to find out
@CarolDM (201709)
I have been so worried. Even with this news it is scary to live with. And she is only 58. I will stay on her to make sure she keeps is monitored.
@moffittjc (109881)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, your poor cousin, she surely has a lot of things going on in her body at once. I hope she is in good hands with her medical team and they can keep her healthy, alive and kicking. Definitely very stressful news, but like you said, now that she knows what is going on the necessary steps can be taken to help her manage and deal with the issues.
@moffittjc (109881)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM I hope she follows up on everything recommended for her, and keeps a positive, upbeat demeanor throughout.
@CarolDM (201709)
@moffittjc Thanks, I do as well. I will encourage her as often as I can.
@CarolDM (201709)
She is having a time for sure. Just discharged today. Many follow ups for her.
@sallypup (53073)
• Centralia, Washington
I'm sending best wishes for your cousin. At least she knows what is going on.
@CarolDM (201709)
Thank you so very much. Knowing the issues you are facing is the first step for sure.
@kobesbuddy (160283)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My grandma had an Aortic Aneurysm and she lived to be 91:) As you mentioned, they can start small and get bigger as time passes. They told Grandma that it could rupture at any time, which didn't faze her. It never did rupture, but she had awful back aches from this condition.
@CarolDM (201709)
That is great news. We are all different. I hope hers stays small.
@oahuwriter (28464)
Good, doctor, is taking good care of your cousin. Wish she had quick hospitalizations when & if needed. Poor thing. Her Mother and you take care too. Holy Christ, help all of you to with everything, thank you Holy Christ, amen. You're welcome in advance for prayers.