Inauguration Tickets going for big buckets

I saw on the news that some places are selling tickets to the inauguration for thousands of dollars. These are tickets given out for free but hten those people are then selling them to ticket selling agencies for huge profits. What do you think of people spending thousands on free tickets? Should something be done about it?
@spalladino (17927)
It's worse than that. These *free* tickets aren't distributed until shortly before the inauguration so some folks who have paid for tickets may end up with nothing. Also, Senate and House members...and staff...who receive these tickets aren't supposed to be profitting from them. I heard on the radio that there is going to be an investigation into who is involved with these ticket brokers.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Yes, you can pick them up the day before and have to show ID. I'm not sure how this all will work out. The person in charge of the inauguration is working on making this kind of behavior a felony.
Good luck with that. The news said the tickets are not assigned to people. Just given out. So there is not way to know what tickets belongs to what person. SO they will not know who sold their ticket to a scalper.
@newtondak (3950)
I don't think it's right that they are selling them. If they don't want to use them, then they should give them to someone else - not sell them to make a profit. There should be something done about it, but where would they start?
@jend80 (2068)
traitor to capitalism
Well I wonder if this happened with past ones? It probly did. Limited seats, lots of people wanting tickets. This one is a historic event so even more people want to be able to say I was there so therefore people will be selling them to the highest bidder. They do not have a way to track the tickets and who they were given to so I do not see them being able to stop it.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Wow, I can see how people can view this as an opportunity but I don't think it's right. I don't like it, if they do it with paid for tickets either. I heard the person who is in charge of the inauguration is moving to make it a felony to scout those tickets. They mailed a letter to ebay to stop sales on there, they'll also contact other sites. Quite frankly, they couldn't pay me to go there. They are giving out 240,000 tickets. It will be so crowded, I personally wouldn't be able to enjoy myself even if I would idolize Obama. I probably get a better view from my couch anyway;)
I know what you mean. There will be tons of people there and it will be nuts. You will probly see better and be more comfortable sitting at home on your couch.
@kdhartford (1152)
I think that there should be a law. I imagine that these are the same people who were worried about all the poor people. Maybe they should donate what the make, instead of raising my taxes.
I think they are not allowed to do it. But there is no way to track the tickets once they are given out so they will have no way to know who used their tickets and who sold theirs. With some of the tickets going for 10+ thousand dollars, that is a big incentive for someone to sell theirs. Especially some of the staffers or pages who may be cash strapped.