Red face at the Bank!

@owlwings (38878)
Cambridge, England
The other day, my wife pointed out that, according to the bank statement, the phone company had taken £80 (about twice what usually gets debited) out of our account when their statement said that they had only received £6.31. I called the phone company, who said that, honest-to-god, they had only received what it said on the statement. So, yesterday, I went to the bank (with the statement) and showed it to them. They said I should call the phone company again and, if they couldn't see the error of their ways, to threaten to file a Direct Debit Indemnity to get the money back. Well, another call to the phone company, (fumbling my way through their selection menu) and they actually SUGGESTED that I file an Indemnity statement. So, back to the bank again (another round trip of four miles). They were just half an hour from closing, so I was glad to have caught them. We went into one of the private offices and I showed the guy all the paperwork again. He looked at my account and a puzzled expression crossed his face ... there was clearly something which didn't add up and my hopes of getting £80 credited to my account began to rise. All of a sudden, his face cleared (I'm sure that he was restraining a smile)He handed me a printout of my current statement as he had it on the screen and pointed to some rather small writing at the top of the statement I had brought in, where it said "August 2014"! I had been looking at the wrong year Have you ever felt as foolish and as red-faced as I did? Come on, 'fess up and tell the whole story!
@PhredWreck (6051)
Nope, can't say as anything like that has ever happened to me. I forget sometimes how the rest of you guys aren't as perfect as I am. Why, it must be downright infuriating when I...um...I mean when you guys mess up. Like that time when I...um..I mean a friend of mine had been working on his computer, and he went to fire it back up, and the display wouldn't come on, and he tried several times, and couldn't get it to work, and he was getting all flustered, and someone came over and he asked them if they could figure it out, and they started checking and the video cable was unplugged from the monitor... Yep...sure am glad *I* never have to worry about stuff like that...
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
That reminds me of the phone support story where the support guy spends half an hour trying to find out why a customer's PC won't turn on. Finally he asks the customer to check the power cable behind the PC and the customer says it's difficult because the lights are out. "Oh, how is that?", says the support guy. "Well, we have had a power cut for the last hour." is the reply!
@owlwings Now, this actually didn't happen to me yesterday...it happened to my Dad. I'm not sure if you know my living situation. I live in my Dad's house...he lives with his significant other in her house, and has for 5-6 years, but still has his mail and newspaper delivered here, keeps his main desktop here, and comes over once a day for an hour or so to feed the squirrels and birds and do computer stuff. So you've seen me post about my cats, Louie and Scar. Scar is into everything...kittens are as kittens do, and all that. Evidently Scar had gotten on his desk and knocked the phone off of the charger and the wireless box on the floor and...cat just won't leave anything alone. Anyway, Dad hit the monitor power button...it didn't come on...I came in the room and he told me one of the cats must have unplugged something but he couldn't figure out what it was, but his computer wouldn't work. So I got on the floor (he keeps the tower under his desk) and the power to the tower wasn't on...Scar had bumped the power switch or something. Dad put it down to a 'senior moment'...Louie put it down to Scar being an Evil Demon Spawn.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
@PhredWreck I bet that's Louie's story and he's sticking to it! ACTUALLY, it was Louie who pawed the power button off so you'd blame Scar (who wouldn't admit to anything, even if he DIDN'T do it!)
I have always considered you as a paragon of perfection and therefore just cannot understand how you could not have seen this and truly understand your turning red. I just cannot remember having done something that would have turned my face red as with a brown complexion it would never show
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
The statement date was in ridiculously small print and at least four people (including me and two bank staff) missed it entirely. It was only when the last bank clerk looked at my account on screen that he thought to check the statement date!
@yukimori (9042)
@owlwings I don't understand why they make those things hard to read. You'd think that something like that would be a little more prominent on the page!
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
@yukimori Just what I thought, too!
@yukimori (9042)
I'm sure there are plenty of others, but the only one I can think of right now is the time I went into the camera store in Overland Park, KS. I'd bought a Nikon SLR at a thrift store, but it didn't have a lens. I was just getting seriously into photography at that point so I'd done some research and decided that I wanted to get a 50mm prime lens for it. I went into the store to look at it and make sure that it would work with the camera. Got it on the camera, then promptly asked the salesperson why it wouldn't zoom. Prime lenses have one focal length. They don't zoom. In my defense, I realized exactly how stupid the question was as soon as it left my mouth, and we both had a good laugh about it. That lens is still one of my favorites to use with the film SLR.
LOL - at least you realized that it was a stupid question, because I am still sitting here and saying "huh"? I like taking pictures and playing with different settings on my camera, but I am with my camera like the little old lady that likes playing on her computer but doesn't know how to "start up" the Internet.
@yukimori (9042)
@purplealabaster I've spent several years at this point studying both film and digital photography, so don't feel bad! Some of the concepts are doozies to wrap your head around when you first get started.
@yukimori I know some people that are very into photography, and they will deal with digital, especially since it is quicker. However, their true love is film, because they say there is nothing better than being able to do the process themselves from start to finish not to mention that they think film gives a quality to the photos that digital never can. I do not completely understand what they are saying, but I do appreciate and admire their passion.
It wasn't my mistake, but I do have a bank horror story of my own. My mortgage comes out of the bank automatically on the first of the month from a savings account attached to the bank loan. When I got my income tax refund, I went in to the bank and deposited money into the savings account attached to the loan, so that I wouldn't have to worry about making sure the money was there for a couple of months. The next month I got a statement saying that my mortgage payment was late, which was impossible, because I knew I had deposited the money. I immediately called the bank, and they told me there was no money in the savings account, so automatic payment could not be withdrawn. I started to panic, because I knew that I had deposited the money not to mention that I definitely didn't have enough money that month to cover the mortgage payment if they couldn't figure out where my money had gone. I explained to the bank what had happened and they started checking - apparently the teller put the entire amount of the deposit towards the mortgage loan rather than putting it in the savings account to pay for the automatic withdrawal. The bank was very nice about it, especially since it was their mistake, and they corrected the mistake and removed the late payment fee and deleted the late notice from my account, so it wouldn't affect my credit.
@yukimori (9042)
I'm so glad that you were able to get that sorted out. That must have been awful! At least you weren't dealing with the bank and a separate mortgage company from the sounds of it. A separate company might not have been so forgiving.
@yukimori Yes, I am very thankful it was so easily fixed, even though it did almost give me heart failure. The mortgage is with the bank, so all they had to do was go into their computer system and make a few changes and all was well with the world again. If they were two separate entities, though, I think you are right that it would have been a nightmare to correct.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
Banks can make dreadful mistakes yet never seem to be able to make a proper apology when they correct them - they always seem to try to make you feel like they are doing you a favour. I once had a bank deduct my mortgage payment twice in the same month, which caused me to incur overdraft charges and no end of angst. Of course, when I complained, they refunded the money but I had to insist that they also refund the bank charges that happened because of the error and they made it seem like they were making all sorts of exceptions and doing me a favour for what was THEIR error! Needless to say, I closed that account shortly afterwards and moved to another bank!
not really pertaining to the bank..but in my case,they once took out the mortgage twice-for real.then they were like "we'll refund it..in a month"..you can bet i was mad.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
That happened to me, too but they refunded it immediately because I insisted ... AND the interest they had charged me because it made me go overdrawn, but they were rather sniffy about doing it and made it seem like a 'favour'!
oh yea they are.they even tried the "oh,we could credit you for next month"..yea,you could,but you're not.i have other bills lol
@yugocean (8054)
Well Once I was gone with my father to invest some money in bank, few months later when we checked and found it was less amount added than what was showing in receipt, so we asked bank staff to find out what went wrong. I wasn't red faced, but bank staff started checking and found no fault, but our receipt was showing more money received by bank, after few minutes I myself found that it was old receipt, and new receipt was on next page of pass book. So I rechecked it, money added was correct.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
I sympathise! You know exactly how I felt, then!
Hee hee - um, OOPS! There, there @owlwings , I guess that can even happen to the wisest of owls! And what did Mrs. Owlwings say, after all she is the one that pointed that out in the first place?!
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
Mrs O. was VERY apologetic, of course (as was only right)!
@dodo19 (31977)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
At least, this gentleman helped you figure out what the issue was. Wow! That must been frustrating and a little embarrassing. Sorry this happened.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
Yes, he was very helpful! He even noticed that my house insurance was costing much more than he thought I should be paying and suggested that I call in with the paperwork and we could "discuss" it! What a nice man!
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I've not had that happen before but yes, I have made a fool of myself. It is very humbling and makes you double check stuff from then on.
That sometimes happens to me too . But we are humans and susceptible to mistakes .
@pattisw (50)
• Flushing, Michigan
That would be embarrassing,but at least you got it cleared up before you filed the papers.
• Preston, England
never done that one I did query a recent bill from my internet provider which looked excessive and found they were giving the figures in dollars rather than UK sterling - they just never added the $ or £ that would have told me what was happening. Allowing for currency adjustments the bill was correct.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
That sounds somewhat incredible. Are you really buying your Internet offshore?
• Preston, England
@owlwings the company who sell me my domain name and web space are American - never realized until this bill came through.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
@arthurchappell Ah, I see! Well, that is understandable. Not your Internet provider, then (strictly speaking)
@wiLLmaH (8226)
• Singapore, Singapore
Haha! It never happened to me until now. So how do you react after the bank informed you that you got the wrong billing statement?
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
I went home with my tail between my legs and kept very quiet about it!
@wiLLmaH (8226)
• Singapore, Singapore
@owlwings Haha! :)
I wrote a check once off of what I thought was the right account and then couldn't figure out why the check wasn't clearing. It was the wrong account I wrote it out of. Good thing that I had enough money in the wrong account. And I work in the financial industry.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
I have several accounts but they're all with different banks, so the cheques look different. I don't think I've ever written a cheque on the wrong account. More recently, however, I have a shared account with my brother (who was in the process of moving from the States to here) and I did have to check carefully which chequebook I was using when I was writing cheques on his behalf!
That would be very embrassing. I hope you said sorry and left.
@owlwings (38878)
• Cambridge, England
Well, of course I apologised. I didn't phone the phone company again, though. I don't feel I owe them any favours, much.
I don't think I would be embarrassed so much as relieved;)
I have done that maybe not exactly as you have but in the past I have picked up a bill on the table thinking I owed an outrageous amount of money when in the end some how the wrong one ended up on the table...I was not in an office before my husband realized my mistake but still embarressing I was so heated over nothing Lol
Oh man a wasted day over a simple over sight. Well if anything atleast you got things figured out and you were not over billed afterall.
@GreatMartin (4305)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I just wanted to stop by and say hello and thank you for your help again! Regarding 'red in the face' at my age I just laugh and blame it on being old---being old let's me get aweay with a lot of things!
@Rollo1 (16650)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Once when I was writing blog copy for a site, I mistakenly thought I had a very recent news story and it was a year old. It didn't make the client happy at all. That was a lot of running round though, before you discovered the error. I am sure that they've deal with bigger mistakes, though, and well, we all do embarrassing things now and again.