I Still Have a Job.....For Now

My meeting with my supervisor went well. Although she was not sure how to address my absenteeism. Yes, I agreed that it was something that I too was worried about. She said she understood my reasons for being out, but said we needed to find a solution to the problem. Well I laughed about that. She asked if I would like to take a leave of absence. I said I wish I could afford to do that. Unfortunately I have bills to pay. I explained to her that it wasn't as if I had planned to be out of work for 4 days in a row. I had only planned on being out on Monday. Then my granddaughter became ill and I was forced to stay home with her. She asked if I had a back-up plan for a sitter should she become sick again. I explained that the only people I know that can watch her are working or have health problems that would keep them from being able to help out. So, as it stands now, we are playing it by ear. Hopefully Little Miss won't have another bout with illness any time soon. Otherwise, my job employment status would change.
There is always a allowance for you watching her t pay your bills.
We get a stipend, but that is used for her needs.
@dodo19 (28098)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It’s definitely not an easy situation. I hope that things work out for you.
I guess all I can hope for is that little Miss won't become sick and I won't become sick either.
@DrEdwi (52)
The wellbeing of your loved ones is very important. Your supervisor is a good person and I advise you to keep him or her informed should you be away from work.
I always call the office to let them know when I have to be out. If I know ahead of time about needing time off they always are alerted.
@pradab (503)
Why didn't you take the leave of absence?
@sishy7 (27295)
She said she could not afford not being paid...
@Shellyann36 (8618)
I know that dreaded feeling. I faced it many times when my older boys were young and I was a divorced parent. I was fortunate that in real emergencies I could count on my parents. I really feel for you and the situation you are in right now. I wish you the best.
@Shellyann36 I know that whatever happens we will get through it.
@ElusiveButterfly I always remind myself to just keep counting my blessings because someone else has things far worse than I do.
@Shellyann36 this is so very true. I try to keep looking for the bright side of things too.
It is a tough situation to be in when you have a little one to tak3 care of. I hope she won't get sick again for awhile.
I have forgotten what it takes to care for a sick child. I stayed home with my kids until the twins were 4 years old. Then I took classes at our local college. A friend of mine watched them for me when they were sick and on vacation days. They also went to Head Start.
@ElusiveButterfly Yes it is different when you have little ones that you are responsible for. Not all bosses are understandable about the situation.
@Happy2BeMe, I can't wait to retire.
@BarBaraPrz (17536)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Good to hear that you still have a job. Will you be looking for a backup sitter, or just hope the situation never comes up again?
I really don't know of anyone that I could bring her to. I have a friend who offered, but she is constantly on the road. I don't want that for Little Miss. Most of my friends work or live out of the area.
@BarBaraPrz (17536)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@ElusiveButterfly Ask the other moms at the daycare what they do in such a situation.
@BarBaraPrz I don't see them.
I'm glad you still have the job. But they really shouldn't be able to fire you if you cant make it in due to no sitter.
She wanted me to take a leave of absence. Um, for how long? I can't afford not to work. I was going to suggest that I work per diem, but even so, if Little Miss is sick, I have to call out.
@ElusiveButterfly its ridiculous all around. I'm ao sorry. But least you have job for now. Mayne look into another one ?
@Courtlynn I am going to start the process, can't hurt to look.
I'm certainly happy your supervisor was understanding this time. I hope you can find someone you trust to watch LM if the occasion arises again. Your supervisor has been very patient and kind to you all these months.
She had been Dianne, and said she is sympathetic to my problem. However, they can't run a business if there is nobody to perform the work. I understand that as well. I am trying to find someone who can step in when she is sick. Unfortunately, most of my family and friends work too.
@ElusiveButterfly I know how tough that must be. I was so lucky in that I had 15 sick days per year which accumulated as well as 3 personal days. My husband was usually able to stay home unless he had a meeting. I hope you find someone you can trust. Too bad I didn't live closer. I could gobble up Little Miss in a heartbeat! lol
@DianneN You are too kind. She likes to go shopping!
@Srbageldog (5463)
Is it possible for you to look into hiring a babysitter (maybe find one on Care.com) to use as a backup when Little Miss gets sick and has to stay home? That might be difficult though because then that sitter would have to be available as needed, which would be hard to guarantee. Hopefully she won't get sick again anytime soon, but your employer should be more understanding about the situation.
That is the problem. I have had people say they would watch her then when I ask for help, they always have something to do. Who wants to watch a child who is sick and may also have something that is contagious?
@ElusiveButterfly Yeah, that also makes it hard for you. It's a difficult situation you're in. I wish your employer was more understanding about it.
@Srbageldog I have told my husband that it may come down to my going part time or just finding something else. He understands, but I don't think he is fully prepared to having the loss of income just yet.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
That is a problem with you being the only caregiver of your grandchild. I hope she stays healthy and it becomes a non issue.
Once the new year comes around, my husband will get more vacation and personal time. He could take a day if need be.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
@ElusiveButterfly That helps.
@peavey (15874)
Maybe this will give you time to look around and see if you can find someone to watch her if you need to. I'm glad you still have your job, but that has to be stressful.
There aren't many I woul trust with her care. Overprotective grandma.
@peavey (15874)
@ElusiveButterfly I understand that.
• Marion, Kansas
It is very hard. I hope things level out and she stays well.
I can't put her in a plastic bubble and hope for the best. I will deal with whatever comes down the pike.
That sounds frustrating. People have responsibilities. It shocks me that jobs can be so callous. Four days in the grand scheme of things seems.so inconsequential. I hope it all works out though.
My supervisor said she would be okay with 1 or 2 days off, but 4 days in a row was unacceptable. Truly not something that I planned on happening. I'll just have to see what cards I get and play them where they fall.
You are both in a really bad place. I wish there was a satisfactory answer.
When life hands you lemons.....
I hope y'all stay healthy so you don't have to worry about it. =(
That's my goal.
I hope that it all works out for you. Sometimes they need to be more understanding, if someone gets sick then they do.
I. Told her that it wasn't like I planned For her to get sick. What did they think I was undoing? I certainly wasn't sitting on a warm beach drinking cold beverages.
I am so sorry for this happening; I think you are an excellent grandma to Little Miss. I hope you can keep your job. I am sure something will happen where you don't have to miss work again
I am going to ask a few people that we are close to if they would take her if she had to stay home. I just am not sure who to ask.
Well, it sounds like the meeting did go pretty well. I, too, hope Little Miss can have a long run of being free from illness.
I hope that she stays clear from any sickness too. However, she is in a daycare with other littles and you know how that one goes. One gets sick, they all get sick.
• Portland, Connecticut
You are rather between a rock and a hard place, but of course, your supervisor needs you at work so she is right, you will have to find a solution. Does the state offer any options?
It is up to the daycare provider as to what they allow. State regs also have a say in it. If she is running a temp, she has to stay home until she is 24 hours fever free.