Is it wrong that my son likes watching Hannah Montana?

@rosie230 (1696)
June 9, 2010 3:06pm CST
I know this might sound a little odd asking this, but I have a 9 year old son who likes watching Hannah Montana... I am probably very wrong in assuming that this show is for girls, but I just don't know why my son watches it. When I said it was a girls show, he said no it isnt because there is Jackson in there and her Dad, they are funny, and so is she. So I just kind of left it there. He laughs at the show and I admit that some parts that I have seen are quite funny, but I just want to know your views on this... Thanks!
3 people like this
34 responses
@oldchem1 (8132)
9 Jun 10
Lol Not at all!! My 14 year old watches all that Disney stuff, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverley, Suite Life,HSM etc. I skit him but he doesn't care!!
1 person likes this
@rosie230 (1696)
9 Jun 10
Yeah thats all the things my boy is watching lol... I was just a little concerned over the Hannah Montana thing, but I think he likes her lol.... bless them! lol
1 person likes this
@oldchem1 (8132)
9 Jun 10
Well my 21 year old daughter is married and pregnant and still watches them all!!
@wiggles18 (2506)
• Canada
9 Jun 10
Maybe he has a little "thing" for her even, you never know...
1 person likes this
@rosie230 (1696)
9 Jun 10
Yes I think he does like her a lot... but I think he feels embarrassed to tell me
1 person likes this
@wiggles18 (2506)
• Canada
9 Jun 10
Haha, probably. That sort of think is very embarrassing for a son to tell a mother.
1 person likes this
@Galena (9110)
10 Jun 10
I've never seen it, but the impression it's always given me is of being a childrens show. for children. and it's better to let people like what they like than to push them to like certain things and dislike others, purely on the basis of whether they wee standing or sitting. I get really annoyed with the whole concept of boys toys and girls toys, or girls programmes and boys programmes. they're children, they like what they like. I recently saw toy dinosaurs under a section labeled boys, and it really made me angry. what's more universal than a child liking dinosaurs? and now they try and make out that it's a boy thing. the girls section was full of pink things, tea sets, shopping trolleys, play make up and even toy hoovers and mops. all the sciencey things were under the boys section. I think this gives of a really unhealthy message. boys are clever and acheive stuff. girls stay at home and look nice and keep things pleasant for their clever, acheiving husbands.
1 person likes this
@med889 (5941)
10 Jun 10
I think it is completely normal because sometimes boys too are interested in movies which girls are more attached to, even we girls we like to watch many movies that are boy's favorite so it is the same for me, maybe he simply likes the film thats all, he likes to laugh for the funny scenes.
@Torunn (8609)
• Norway
10 Jun 10
I'd say that's it wrong for anyone to watch it, but then I'm probably not in the right age group :-) There's no reason why boys should watch only shows with boys and girls only shows with girls, so I see no reason why it should be a girls show only. Must of the Hanna Montana stuff you can buy is for girls I suppose so it'll be cheaper for you if he watches that instead of a show with lots of merchandise for boys too. Plus, at nine he'll probably watch it for the comedy and don't care too much about the marketing. Hopefully. Not quite sure when they start, my cousins youngest demanded different pants and a new haircut when he was 4 ...
1 person likes this
@karen1969 (1779)
10 Jun 10
No, I think it's perfectly okay he watches it. There are both boy and girl characters in it and he may well be relating to Hannah's brother. As far as US kids' TV programmes go, Hannah Montana isn't a bad one at all. My 14 year old watches it too, so I see a lot of episodes and although they get annoying after a while, they are fun and harmless.
@Foxxee (3651)
• United States
4 Jul 10
Story line is for both girls & boys. It's not all girly, remember they do have Jackson & Ricco who do guy things... PLus... I do recall when I was a kid, if I had a crush on a character, I would watch that show, even if it was just for boys. LOL! Heck, tv shows these days are for both boys & girls.... heck my husband use to watch Carebears & even had Funshine bear... LOL!!! I still have to giggle about that one.
@cher913 (25782)
• Canada
9 Jun 10
i dont think so because the story line about jackson and ricco are pretty much geared to guys and i am sure you son is not the only ones that watches it.
1 person likes this
@Hatley (163781)
• Garden Grove, California
9 Jun 10
hi rosie no I don't think its wrong at all. He probably has a little boy crush on Hannah Montana and I am 83 and have to admit that I like to watch the show too. So your son and I must have similar interests.he he. No , but I would not worry about your son not being masculine enough as Hannah Monatana has quite a fan base now.Now if your son suddenly started wearing girls clothes then I would worry. he he but hes okay I am sure.
1 person likes this
@Archie0 (5636)
16 Jul 10
I think its absolute normal nature, he just likes her and there's no issue about it. Children only make a thing that bad, if we make them realize and issue on it, i think you just need to let him know its normal to like her, as she is a big star and many others do it too. Just make that thought of his flow very casually and normally.
@dreamnishu (1247)
• China
9 Jun 10
Well i don't think so it's a wrong. But batter you talk with your son that what he likes most Hannah Montana. But ask him very friendly. Then you will be clear what he wants. But yes Hannah Montana is very popular for girls.
1 person likes this
@emdyey09 (264)
• Philippines
10 Jun 10
Hannah Montana is not like Barbie! If you watch Hannah Montana, you'd notice that it isn't really just for girls because Hannah's attitude is more like a tomboy. And she is funny so I think it's okay if your son is interested in it. I'd qualify why I think Hannah (or Miley) acts like a tomboy. She plays guitar. She's a rock star. Her voice is very full, not like other teen-age girls who are high pitched. She's not always in pink. She's not girly at all (especially when she's Miley). She usually plays tricks against her brother Jackson. It's like High School Musical, male or female (old & young) would relate to it. I think you have no reason to worry about. If your son plays Barbie, then that's time you have to worry.
• United States
10 Jun 10
My son played with Barbie and he's fine. Oh, wait a minute, he was a surgeon and Barbie didn't survive the limb removals, so maybe that doesn't count.
@dsrp82 (676)
• Brazil
15 Jul 10
I dont see any problems. I'm 27 and I like that show =D
• Philippines
16 Jul 10
I don't see anything wrong with it... I know some little boys who watch Hannah Montana.:D Well, as long as you can see your son happy, everything is alright.:D
@Angelwriter (1954)
• United States
10 Jun 10
No, it's not wrong. I haven't seen the show, but even if it's "for girls" I don't think that means there's an unspoken "NOT for boys" that goes along with it. And, I think it's a good thing that a boy doesn't have a hang up about watching a show with a girl lead. It's an accepted belief that "boy stuff" is mainstream. Girls/women will watch shows/movies starring boys/men and that's okay. And, girls will read books about boys but if you want a boy to read, you're better off making your main character a boy. And, maybe for some boys it's simply true that they aren't interested in stories/shows about girls. But, maybe also because they're getting the message that it's wrong. Which is weird. I'm a girl, and since I was a kid, I've liked stories with boys, and had favorite characters who were males. And, not because I had a crush on them (although sometimes that happened) but because they were interesting people and the stories they told were interesting or the show was just entertaining or funny and just because a boy was the main part of the show was irrelevant. There's a lot of reasons he could like it. He could just find it funny, he could find the episodes interesting. I guess it has music, so he could find the music catchy. Since he said she (and other characters) are funny, maybe he likes funny people on tv. And, good for him if he can appreciate a funny person regardless of their gender. Or, as some people said, maybe he has a crush. Or, he just likes it because he likes it. And, that's okay.
@ladym33 (10979)
• United States
11 Jun 10
No it is fine if your son watches it. It is just a sitcom geared towards kids. Sure Hannah is the main character but it is really about her family and friends. It is not really a show for girls. It is a family show. My son used to watch it too it is no big deal. It is a show geared towards all kids. The brother is really funny too.
• United States
10 Jun 10
If this is the only thing worrying you about your son, run in, give him a huge hug, tell him how awesome he is, and have a cup of coffee! I watch action/adventure, but I'm not a guy. I watch horror movies, but I'm not a teenager. I watch Hanna Montana occasionally and I'm not a kid. I also watch romantic and ten-tissue shows. There is no problem with him watching Hannah Montana, but I don't think I'd take him to the NEW Mylie Cyrus shows...she's trying to prove she's grown up. This appears to take the guise of dressing in the least amount of clothing possible and plying on the makeup. He may not be ready for that yet.
@jt1982 (16)
• United States
10 Jun 10
I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with your son enjoying watching Hannah Montana. My 8-year-old watches it with his two sisters and he's the same old all-American boy that he was BEFORE he started watching it & was instead watching Spongebob. Now if he starts dressing up in girlie dresses & heels, THEN I'd say "We've got a problem!" LOL
• United States
10 Jun 10
dont feel bad. i have two nieces and a nephew who watch that show so often, and at first i thought it was crazy to like it..but as i watched it with them, i ended up enjoyin the laughs! it is not a girl show, it is for anyone who wants to watch. it is an amusing show i might add.
• United States
10 Jun 10
Meh, I've watched some of the show with my little siblings and I wouldn't call it a girl's show. It might lean that way a little bit (Hannah's shoe closet & such), but the great majority of it is funny no matter what gender you are.