Taxes, Rain and a Few Other Bad Words

@moffittjc (95806)
Gainesville, Florida
Just finished doing my taxes, and boy did I let out a few choice bad words. For the second year in a row, I owed the IRS instead of getting a refund. I guess the adjustments I made last year to lessen the tax blow were just not quite enough. I once again made more money this past year than I had anticipated. But the tax burden thankfully wasn't as high this year as last year, so at least it was manageable. But any money owed to Uncle Sam is not a good thing in my book. And if owing money to the IRS wasn't bad enough already, I had to pick a cold, windy and rainy day to do it, creating an even more sour mood. But oh well. Life goes on. It's not like I can't afford it. Have you filed your taxes yet? Did you get a refund, or did you owe like me?
@CarolDM (125886)
Sorry about that Jeff. It seems it is either pay now, or pay later. Taxes are done, refund processing.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Owe or not, I'm also glad my taxes are done. It's good to get that burden off my list of things to do.
@CarolDM (125886)
@moffittjc I do understand, Hope you are staying safe and well.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM Thanks, I'm staying as safe as possible. I hope you are doing the same.
@lovebuglena (26963)
• Staten Island, New York
We haven't done that yet. Got an email from our tax place that this year you come in to drop off the documents but there is no in-person meeting with the tax person. That will happen virtually. Via Zoom I think. But last year we didn't have to do that and it was when pandemic was already here.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm lucky (or unlucky) that I live in a state that is fully open for business. We have no restrictions on meeting in person for things like taxes or other similar things.
@lovebuglena (26963)
• Staten Island, New York
@moffittjc That is a good thing. And I am sure the number of cases in your state was not higher than the number of cases in states that were shut down. From what I remember hearing I think it was just the opposite. And I am talking about 2020.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lovebuglena We were up there in numbers for a while, which they mainly blamed on tourists coming from all other places, but our numbers have leveled off. I'm surprised that places like California and New York, which put in place some of the harshest shut down requirements, are the states that also have seen the highest number of Covid cases.
@DaddyEvil (37325)
Oopsies, Jeff... Yes, we filed our taxes yesterday, too. And yes, just like every year, I get a refund from Federal and State. (I have extra held out for both so I don't get caught short when tax time rolls around. I give an extra $7 to Federal and an extra $5 to State from every check. I don't get paid interest on the extra money but I know I'll always get a refund from both.)
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think I will adjust my withholdings this year to have a little extra taken out of each paycheck, just to give me a safety cushion so I won't owe next year.
@DaddyEvil (37325)
@moffittjc I had to pay in once, before having the extra held out. I don't mind filing my taxes since I know I'll get some back each year.
@moffittjc Yup. If you claim “0’ dependents on your W-2 then hit them with the real number of dependents when you file your taxes you should get a chunk back. It’s kinda like a non-interest bearing savings account.
I got a state and a fed refund this year!! Woot woot
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's great! A double win for you!
@moffittjc yes unusual but hey I’m going to enjoy it while I can
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@BelleStarr Definitely enjoy it while you can.
@DocAndersen (37600)
taxes done - small refund from both. Nowhere near it has been but we went from 30k miles driven for work to 8k miles driven for work
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
From both? Are you referring to state taxes and federal taxes?
@DocAndersen (37600)
@moffittjc sir, yes sir! got a little back from both. normally get more, but lost a huge deduction (my wife travels the county we live in working for a Hospice). miles = money back on taxes!
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DocAndersen Glad to hear you at least got a little back despite the decrease in miles for you wife.
That stinks that you owed Uncle Sam. I don't file taxes anymore.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
You don't have to file anymore, even though you still have income?
@moffittjc My major income is Social Security. What I make here and royalties isn't enough to file taxes.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@just4him I thought they taxed social security?
@FourWalls (32382)
I did the "short form" this year and got about a hundred bucks back. All done....and spent.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
After I owed big time last year, I changed all my withholdings to try and get it to the point where I would get back about $200-$250 this year. Obviously, I didn't factor in the fact that I would retire midway through the year and get paid out huge lump sum payments that actually raised my income level for the year.
@FourWalls (32382)
@moffittjc — congratulations on retirement! It’s worth it, as far as I’m concerned!
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@FourWalls I'm enjoying myself immensely so far! I've been able to do a lot of traveling, which is nice. I am working still, but that is just to give me some money to play with.
@Tina30219 (69256)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry to hear you owe it sucks at a time like this
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's okay, I paid my tax bill on Friday. It was much less painful this year than it was last year.
@Tina30219 (69256)
• Onaway, Michigan
@moffittjc Glad it was less painful this year than it was last year
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Tina30219 Definitely. Last year was a huge wakeup call for me. Until that point, I never really paid attention to the upward creep in my income and the fact that it would put me in a higher tax bracket. I learned my lesson. Now I pay close attention to stuff like that.
I have just filed a tax return, no tax refund, no supplementary payment
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Is this the time of year that taxes are due in China too?
@moffittjc In China, in March of each year, the tax accounting of the previous year is carried out. Through the accounting, the tax amount of each person is determined.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@moshishibie In China, are taxes taken out of your paychecks throughout the year, or how does it work in your country?
• Israel
@moffittjc I am sorry that you have to pay instead of getting a refund. I have not filed yet and so have no idea what will happen. Things take their time getting here from the States.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
You have to file in the US even though you are in Israel?
• Israel
@moffittjc Just Federal. I am a U.S. Citizen and have to pay there and here.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar So even if you earn income in Israel, you still have to pay taxes in the US? Or are you drawing income from the US?
My brother-in-law always said he'd love to be making enough money to pay taxes. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. It's never a good feeling to have to pay out though.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not against paying taxes at all, I know it's a necessary burden, I just don't like having taxes deducted from my paychecks all year long and then finding out I still owe more on top of that.
@moffittjc I can understand that. When Vince was working at a big school, we had a tax accountant. He claimed for dozens of things we didn't know about or wouldn't have bothered with. Things like dry-cleaning for starters.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv After I owed big-time last year, I went to a tax accountant to see if they could discover some hidden deductions that I may have overlooked that would have helped lower my tax obligations. However, he couldn't come up with enough things to claim to significantly lower my tax bill. I just lead too simple of a life I guess. haha
This year we did not owe and did not get anything back. So we were good.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Generally, that's the way it is supposed to work, if people set up their withholdings the right way. Glad you didn't have to pay anything extra.
@moffittjc We get stock dividends every quarter and you never know how much you will get so we pay the taxes at the end of the year.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jstory07 I get stock dividends too, but I just roll them back into the stock instead of taking a dividend payout.
• Austin, Texas
The deadline was extended to June 15. Doesn't seem like anybody in my house is in a hurry ro do their taxes.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
June 15th? Wow, what a deadline extension. If I had known I was going to have to pay again this year, and knew that the deadline was extended to June, I would have waited to do my taxes. Maybe I could have waited for the $1,400 stimulus checks to roll out, and then used that money to pay my taxes.
• Austin, Texas
@moffittjc - I don't know. Stimulus checks are tax dollars anyway. You're just putting it back into the Treasury.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@cmoneyspinner I do think it's kind of funny that I had to use both of my stimulus checks to pay my federal taxes. I took tax money from the government to pay my taxes to the government.
We have to file quarterly We take every exemption humanly possible, but would rather have too much money and pay than not. Who knows? We may get a surprise this year.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm getting better each year with the amount of deductions and exemptions I take, so the tax burden is really not as bad as it can be. Last year, I thought about changing things up and filing quarterly, but my tax burden this year (and hopefully in years to come) is not really high enough to justify it.
@moffittjc Well, at least you can cross off taxes for this year. Sock as much as you can into 401K, annuities, etc.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN That's what I always try to do, shield as much of my income from the tax man as I can!
I haven't tried to do taxes yet
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Do you think you are going to owe, or get a refund? If I know I'm getting a refund, I file as early as I can. If I know I will owe, I wait as long as possible.
@moffittjc I always get a refund
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
@NJChicaa That has always been the case for me, up until last year. I got bumped into a higher tax bracket due to my paintball salary and tournament winnings. I tried to make the withholding adjustments so that I wouldn't get caught by surprise again this year, and I was close, but I still had to pay a little. I will again tweak my withholdings again this year and hopefully get it right next year.
@porwest (41959)
Here's the thing. A little known secret. And boy does it piss people off when I say it. But shhh. Don't tell anyone. If you don't get a refund...you're doing it right.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
I totally get that, but who doesn't like a little refund every year. Even if it's a small, tiny amount?
@porwest (41959)
@moffittjc I'd rather have the money that made me not get one. It is always more than any refund might have been. lol
@RebeccasFarm (25733)
• Denver, Colorado
I think that is despicable they are robbing good working people.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, taxes are a necessary evil.
• Denver, Colorado
@moffittjc Yeah I know it Jeff..rotten bastiches
@kareng (33213)
I first read that first word as Texas, and I am betting you with it was! Haven't done ours, we will probably owe.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sorry that you'll probably owe. And no, I don't think Texas is a bad word.
@kareng (33213)
@moffittjc Used to it here. I'm sure you feel the same way.
We file our taxes in April, we file first, they check the forms and then they send us the slip to pay. I had a small refund last year because they miscalculated something.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
Our taxes are due in April too, but we can file the paperwork starting in February. For people who get refunds, they like to file early. For people who owe, they wait until the last minute to file their taxes.
@moffittjc I see, we can start to send in our forms starting the first of April. We have to pay an advance on the current year based on the previous year, about 80% of what we paid the previous year. Usually we have something left to pay, it is very uncommon to get a refund.
We probably won't even get to it til next month . We normally don't owe . . . I assume for now that's how it'll be.
@moffittjc (95806)
• Gainesville, Florida
If I know I have to pay, I wait until the absolute last minute. And last year, because my owed taxes were so high I filed for an extension to pay even later. It wasn't that I didn't have the money, I just wanted to hold on to it as long as possible before handing it over to Uncle Sam. If I know I am going to get a refund, I file as early as possible so that I can get access to that money as quickly as I can so I can start investing it.
@moffittjc That is exactly the smart way it should be done .