Update 6/8/21 - Meals on Wheels

@LindaOHio (67243)
First of all, let me address the photo. I keep trying to see if it's been Photoshopped; and I can't decide. I've never seen a dog that big! Yesterday we started receiving Meals on Wheels. To start off with we chose the 5-day-a-week plan. You can also get meals 7 days a week. Right now with COVID-19 they come Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Yesterday we received one hot meal and one frozen meal apiece. Monday's meal was a breaded fish patty on brown rice, carrots, squash, bread and butter and apricots. I'm not a fish eater; but the fish wasn't bad. The frozen dinner was an herb chicken. Each dinner also includes a carton of milk. We don't really drink milk; but my husband will use it on his cereal. We pay a $2.50 per meal donation and get billed once a month. We'll try this out for a month and see if we like it. It was nice not to have to eat soup, yogurt or protein bars. I will be able to get more variety and get my vegetables which I have been lacking. Photo Credit: In an email from a friend
is that fee required or your offering as per your wishes. I had that service free of all costs. I am sad to know you were limited in food. I am glad you have another option for eating well balanced meals. That is one thing they are good for. I just hope you like all they offer.
@LindaOHio (67243)
The fee is not required; it's suggested. We can afford to pay it so we will pay it each month.
@LindaOHio That is good I am glad you are all ok.
@oahuwriter (14724)
Huge dog! We have meals on meals here at Oahu too. My neighbor had that service that moved. Do you have a choice of what meals?
@LindaOHio (67243)
No. They give you a menu so that you can see what's coming; but they don't always stick to it.
@oahuwriter (14724)
@LindaOHio I see. Meals on wheels is at our annual Senior Citizen Fair held in September. Many sign up then. But, since pandemic, it's been cancelled. This year looking good for it. We're today at 54% vaccinated, 70% all restrictions gone!
@LindaOHio (67243)
@oahuwriter That's good to hear that so many people have been vaccinated and a lot of the restrictions are gone.
First about the picture, I am sure it is a PhotoShop, I saw the same girl with a cat that was almost as big as that dog. The Meals on Wheels plan sounds interesting. If you are not happy you can stop after the trial, but I think it's great.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, it probably is a Photoshop. The MOW program is a great opportunity if you can no longer cook.
@LindaOHio I know that there is something similar here for all those who are 68 years or older and those who have health problems.
@LindaOHio (67243)
@LadyDuck It's a good service to have; and it's not too expensive.
• Israel
@LindaOHio Sounds like a good deal and hope you like the meals. That is a very big dog in the picture. So is it photoshopped?
@LindaOHio (67243)
I think it might be Photoshopped.
• Israel
@LindaOHio I know there are dogs that grow very high so could the dog just be very big or how you can if it was photoshopped or not?
@LindaOHio (67243)
@Hannihar Her hand looks funny. Some people can Photoshop so well that it's hard to tell.
@DocAndersen (41986)
i've seen a dog that big but as always I LOVE YOUR PICTURE!!!! Update us on the MOW deliveries, curious to see how or if that works for you!!!!
@LindaOHio (67243)
Glad you enjoyed the picture. Yes, I'll be posting updates as the days go on.
@DocAndersen (41986)
@LindaOHio i look forward to reading them! My father-in-law drove around for Meals on Wheels before they moved to Arkansas.
@LindaOHio (67243)
@DocAndersen It's a very nice service for those that can't cook anymore.
@porwest (44872)
Not sure about the dog, but I suspect it is real. Have you ever seen mastiffs? But there are a lot of big dog breeds. When I was a kid we had a neighbor who had a VERY huge dog, but I can't remember what kind of dog he was. His name was Hercules and he played with a 14 pound bowling ball. No joke. As for the food, I have always liked this program, and I hope you find this satisfies your needs. $2.50 a meal seems a very small price to pay, so it should help your food budget as well. Onward and upward.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, I've seen mastiffs. Yes, the MOW program is very affordable.
@porwest (44872)
@LindaOHio I think it is partially funded by non-user donors. I could be wrong about that. But I think that's what helps to keep costs down.
@LindaOHio (67243)
@porwest Yes, I believe it is.
@jobelbojel (24473)
I wish we have food on wheels in here as well. I need those since I work early in the morning and have no time to prepare my own food. The dog is huge.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Meals on Wheels is for seniors who aren't as mobile anymore. Yes, the dog is quite large!
@jobelbojel (24473)
@LindaOHio Oh I get it. Thank you for explaining.
@thelme55 (69995)
OMG! That is a huge dog. The food sounds delicious. Enjoy your meals on wheels.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Thank you. The food wasn't bad.
@thelme55 (69995)
@LindaOHio That is good to hear.
@rakski (91973)
that is one big dog! I wish we have those meals on wheels too here
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, they are very good to have if you cannot cook due to mobility challenges.
@rakski (91973)
@LindaOHio that is true!
I don't think that's photoshopped unless you want an expert to check it. I search in youtuber before and they are called wolf dogs. .
@LindaOHio (67243)
It does look like a wolf.
It could be that the dog is very large and the person is particularly small. Meals on Wheels can be a blessing. It does sound like nice variety. You can use the milk on other things, I guess.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, Meals on Wheels is going to be a blessing for us. We can get some healthy and filling meals.
That’s one huge dog! I’m happy you are getting well balanced meals. I’d eat anything if I didn’t have to cook it. Enjoy!
@LindaOHio (67243)
Thank you!
Best of luck to you with Meals on Wheels and hope you enjoy the food,
@LindaOHio (67243)
Thanks!
@lovebuglena (28774)
• Staten Island, New York
That dog looks more like a wolf to me. Hopefully this Meals on Wheels thing will work out for you.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, it does look like a wolf. Thanks.
@CarolDM (136726)
I have seen big dogs. Looks like the lady's hand is bigger than her body, don't know. But glad you started the meals.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, the whole thing looks a bit "off". Thanks.
@Dena91 (13659)
My mother in law started getting meals on wheels before dad in law passed away last year. It took her awhile to get on the list. They delivered 4 out of the 5 work days and gave frozen meals for the weekend. She seemed to like it. Once he passed she kept it up for a couple months but decided to drop it in case someone else needed more than she did. She still cooks for herself and she can drive if she chooses to go out to get a bite to eat.
@LindaOHio (67243)
That's good that she still has mobility.
@HazySue (38044)
• Inverness, Florida
That certainly is a huge dog. I would try it. I didn't know they asked for a meal donation.
@LindaOHio (67243)
Yes, those that can afford it help to pay for those that can't. The program is funded in part by donations from companies and individuals.
Great Danes can be that big I think and there's another breed that's big. I can't think of the name. Many years ago I lived across from someone who had a great dane. They can be as tall as horses and they seem to think they are small as chihuahuas! I hope this works out well for you. I'm curious to know if there are any catering companies in your area you can get easy meals from too? Obviously those will be more expensive, but might be worth a nice splurge every now and then.
@LindaOHio (67243)
We can just as easily get take-out food from a Chinese restaurant or pizza place if we need to. My husband is still mobile enough; but thank you for the suggestion.
@prinzcy (26985)
I think there's a dog that big. Would really freak me out if I meet one for real.
@LindaOHio (67243)
That's for sure!
@wolfgirl569 (40740)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope you like the meals. If I remember right that photo was with a story several years ago. I think he is a timber wolf cross. You can see the yellow eyes. Timber wolves can get very large. Males often weigh 70 pounds or more. I have heard of the crosses going over 100
@LindaOHio (67243)
He's a biggie, that's for sure.