How MyLot helped me make an extra $2.50 on Thursday!

Walnut Creek, California
Do you ever think in MyLot dollars? I actually do sometimes. I find it funny that I get slightly bent out of shape when my bank freezes (it did so for about 24 hours the other day). It's not about the money. It's about getting a "reward" for a behavior. That's not Pavlov, by the way. It's B.F. Skinner. In any case, these were my thoughts as I was pumping gas at a gas station in Martinez on Thursday. I put ten gallons in. The price of gas is slightly less in Martinez (where I work at the non-flaky preschool) than here at my "discount" station in Pleasant Hill. So I put 10 gallons in at $3.99/gallon, instead of the $4.19 it would have cost me here. I saved $2.00! Do you ever do silly mathematical calculations as you go about your day? Are gas prices continuing to rise to ridiculous levels where you live?
Gas has gotten ridiculously high here but not 3.99, it's almost 3 bucks here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Where are you? When I make it to Montana, it will be about $1.00/gallon lower.
@spiderdust (10873)
• San Jose, California
@TheHorse I was surprised when I was in Pennsylvania last week that their gas prices looked just like ours. I expected theirs to be much lower.
• Walnut Creek, California
@spiderdust I wonder why it's so high there.
I just paid 4.22 a gallon for 92 octane. Washington has a state gas tax among the highest in the nation. I had friends boasting about a dollar a gallon gas when I was still paying 3.25 here. Low prices sure left quickly. I can't help comparing things like cost per oz at the store and doing the math but I've never thought in MyLot dollars. That's actually not true. I did in the mid-2000's when I could earn my ISP fee each month by posting at MyLot. My MyLot dollars paid for my internet for about three years. That's not actually true either. I used my son's Paypal and I never saw a penny.
@DaddyEvil (47118)
@Vikingswest1 I sold four packs of Marlboro's yesterday for $33. I thought I'd rung them up wrong...
@DaddyEvil (47118)
@Vikingswest1 My dad said he started smoking a pipe when he was 9 years old. He stopped smoking when he turned 69 and then passed away on his 70th birthday. (I'm not implying anything about smoking, just giving information...) You're probably right.
@DaddyEvil It takes me about three days to smoke a pack. A benefit to rolling is that I smoke much less than I did before but yes, it's still unwise. I tried the patch but it only worked if I put the patch directly over my mouth.
@dya80dya (24043)
No. I don't make calculations because I think it's stressful to do this. I don't like mathematics.
• Walnut Creek, California
I find it calming...a way to pass the time.
• San Jose, California
@TheHorse That is a good way to look at it.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Aquitaine24 My brain works overtime, whether I pay it or not.
@xander6464 (22964)
• Wapello, Iowa
I wish I could make an extra $2.50. I'm down to my last $570 billion. It used to be $200 billion but I got a small dividend check the other day. Thank God it wasn't taxed or I would be in real trouble.
• Walnut Creek, California
Avoiding taxes has been key to my accumulation of wealth.
@xander6464 (22964)
• Wapello, Iowa
@TheHorse I try to do that but it's hard when you're starting with nothing. And new things are always coming up. I had to buy a new submarine the other day, (The ashtrays were full in my old one) and even though I didn't get anything fancy, just a simple basic Migaloo Private Submersible Yacht, with only one swimming pool, it cost me $2.5 billion. The cost of living is really killing me.
• Walnut Creek, California
@xander6464 I understand. But I am happy about all of the man-made lakes in Iowa. Which one will you take it to?
If it were Pavlov, you'd begin to slobber every time your bank moves forward. :-)
• Walnut Creek, California
I do.
@DaddyEvil (47118)
I filled my tank yesterday. I paid $2.49/gallon for mid-range fuel. ($32 and some change for a full tank.) No, I don't usually do math unless I'm forced to for some reason.
• Walnut Creek, California
$2.49/gallon? That's absurd!
@DaddyEvil (47118)
@TheHorse It is kind of high, I agree... But Pretty pays for the gas in the car...
• Walnut Creek, California
How did you get her to agree to that?
@BarBaraPrz (32321)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I don't drive but a friend who does was complaining that it cost more to fill up.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's hit a zenith here I'm not sure I've seen before.
@BarBaraPrz (32321)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse Get used to it: it's 90% carbon taxes meant to discourage use.
@BarBaraPrz (32321)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse Probably.
@myklj999 (59733)
I paid $3.35 the other day. Olney is a "One price fits all' town.
• Walnut Creek, California
In moat places I visit, the "near the freeway" prices are much higher than the "visit the town itself" prices.
@myklj999 (59733)
@TheHorse It's like that down near Grayville (about 30 miles south of me) the station out by the Interstate is about 15 cents higher than the two stations in town itself.
• Walnut Creek, California
@myklj999 Yep. Seems it's the same everywhere. Even less than a mile from my house. Chevron by the freeway: $4:45. Discount no-name two blocks in: $4.19.
@lovebuglena (29757)
• Staten Island, New York
Do fill up regular or premium? $3.99 is a lot for gas. Gas here is above $3 but closer to $3 than to $4.
• Walnut Creek, California
I use regular in both of my vehicles.
@lovebuglena (29757)
• Staten Island, New York
@TheHorse Hubby uses regular as well, especially since his car is a lease.
• Walnut Creek, California
@lovebuglena Any particular reason he chooses to lease?
Gas is high here but not as high as there. I do think in myLot dollars occasionally especially when my PayPal piggy bank starts looking thin
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. I have struggled this month. But I will survive!
@TheHorse I'm struggling this month too
• Walnut Creek, California
@Marilynda1225 I had to reduce one of my butlers to part-time.
@porwest (46870)
Gas prices ARE rising at ridiculous levels and it is only going to get worse. I guess it is what it is. I tried to avoid it with my vote, but that didn't work. So, I guess I get to have less money in my pocket on all sorts of things. Incidentally, I saw eggs at Aldi went up to $1.13. They were 89 cents last week. I left them in the store. No WAY I was paying that. But found them at Ruler for 76 cents. I bought three dozen. Doing the math that technically saved me $1.11 and 7 days without eggs in my fridge.
• Walnut Creek, California
I was wondering whether anyone would try to politicize the rise in gas prices. Have you read the study that showed that people believe Presidents control gas prices more when the "other" is in office, but believe the same less when "their" person is in office? Hoover Institution, or some gathering of brainy birds like that.
@porwest (46870)
@TheHorse The problem is that oil prices are driven by policy and by the people in charge of the oil supply. OPEC. Trump was able to get oil prices DOWN through policy that allowed for more drilling, both offshore and inland which made the United States THE largest oil supplier in the world again, AND put us in charge of pricing over relying on OPEC to do it. When you have drilling, and exploration open, and you have pipelines to more efficiently transport it, and you can cut ties with OPEC... You can drive down the price of oil. When you are Biden and you reverse all of that, oil prices go up. Trump undid Obama's oil policies for a reason. And there is no secret why oil prices were high under Obama, low under Trump, and high again under Biden. Policy.
• Walnut Creek, California
@porwest You need to do your DD. It's more complicated than that.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2021/03/27/which-president-oversaw-the-highest-gasoline-prices/?sh=5cce06b71d28
@arunima25 (61910)
• Bangalore, India
Here the fuel prices are sky rocketing. And I often do such silly calculations and feel happy about saving every single penny.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. To me such little things make the mundane parts of the day more interesting.
@arunima25 (61910)
• Bangalore, India
@TheHorse I feel the same way. A big Hi five there
• Walnut Creek, California
@arunima25 *high five returned*
@S4mmyboy (1825)
• Mumbai, India
Though I don't have any vehicle of my own, I envy you guys when it comes to gas. Here for one gallon it would cost us $6.35
• Walnut Creek, California
That's about 50% more than here in CA.
@S4mmyboy (1825)
• Mumbai, India
• Walnut Creek, California
@S4mmyboy Montana will be about $1.00 cheaper per gallon. But I'll be here in CA for another three weeks.
@kareng (38121)
Ours actually had gone down 3 cents a gallon the other day when I put in 10 gallons in our little town. It was $2.77 a gallon last week and down to $2.74 Friday. If only that would be a common price and continue going down. This station sells a lot of gas in town. Just up the road the price is $2.84 a gallon.
• Walnut Creek, California
I forget--where in the US are you? Gas prices get cheaper the farther I drive from California.
• Walnut Creek, California
Maybe there WILL be a trend down.
@kareng (38121)
@TheHorse If we do it won't last. They will price gouge for end of summer and Labor Day too.
Gas is $1.30 per litre and up here. Do not want to know what that is per gallon!
• Walnut Creek, California
Do I multiply by four and then add a bit?
@TheHorse I think an American Quart is pretty close to a litre. So multiply by 4 is close enough. I think.
• Walnut Creek, California
@paigea Gracias. Do you have a bicycle?
@DocAndersen (45390)
i do those calculations all the time! Lately, it has been about "reduction" for me. If I do this, how much time can I save! i don't think in Mylot dollars yet, perhaps we need a video description of how to do that!!!!
• Walnut Creek, California
Here's one: If I stay a few extra minutes at Guitar Center, maybe trying to sell a guitar, my extra income will be way more than I make on MyLot in a day.
@DocAndersen (45390)
@TheHorse that is a good point - but then I would ask if you only stay a few minutes and sell one guitar why not stay an hour and sell 3?
• Walnut Creek, California
@DocAndersen Heh. I have done that. But I'm happy if I sell one guitar any time I'm hanging out in the "guitar room." I don't get a commission, or anything like that. Hopefully the "retail guys" who do get a commission will buy us (the teachers who are good at selling guitars) a pizza or something down the road.
I always do compare prices and I always go to where I would make substantial savings.
• Walnut Creek, California
But what is "substantial"? Two dollars will not make a difference when I die. Heh.
@TheHorse of course it differs but how I figure it, if I felt good making the switch or doing the trip, that is substantial to me.
• Walnut Creek, California
@allen0187 That's how I see it too. I think.
Gas prices are up here, too.
• Walnut Creek, California
They've been stable here for the last couple of weeks.
@TheHorse Just as long as they don’t rise.
• Walnut Creek, California
@DianneN I got called in to work in Martinez tomorrow. I will gas up when I'm there. It's 20 cents per gallon less there. No, it won't change my standard of living. Nor will it change my Porsche delivery date. But a penny saved is a penny earned.
Here, Gas cost $1 per liter.. and I think that's the cheapest price.. the $3.99/gallon is indeed a little cheap..
• Walnut Creek, California
Is a liter slightly less than a quart?
@TheHorse hmmm..I'm not quite sure.. i'm not good in measurements
Gas price is extremely expensive here in Europe and going up every day. Well I made $ 2 today. We went grocery shopping in Italy. Someone put back the shopping cart without removing the 2 € coin, there was no one around I got it.
• Walnut Creek, California
Well done! I sent you some frugal karma.
@TheHorse Almost every time that I cross the border and I go to the Italian grocery store I pick up money "forgot" in the shopping carts.