Brick-laying and birthdays

Australian Christmas tree
Rockingham, Australia
Happy 1st December, everyone! We’re off to finish off some brick-paving soon. There might be a bit more to do later but we’ll finish one section today. It’s Vince’s brother’s birthday today and we’re taking him chocolates. He has wine coming out his ears (That’s technical speak meaning he has a lot) so we’re taking him chocolates instead. We have this ‘tradition’ now that, whenever he stays with us or we stay with him, there will be a chocolate on the pillow, just like they sometimes do in fancy hotels. We may stay with him overnight so we won't miss out on our chocolate if he has none on hand. Two more of Vince’s brothers have birthdays in two days time. There is seven in his family. We’ve made a quiche for lunch as the lady-of-the-house will probably be at the hospital with her husband. And I’m taking a flask of hot water so we can have coffee. Do you call a flash a thermos or a thermos a flask? And do you remember when the inside used to be glass and you had to be careful to warm the interior first before pouring boiling water in? The photo is mine of an Australian Christmas tree.
@DaddyEvil (112360)
Have fun working on the sidewalk. And yes, mostly we call them thermos bottles here in my part of the US and I do remember having to put warm water in one first before putting anything hot in it. (You know that's telling our ages, right? )
@DaddyEvil (112360)
@JudyEv Did I tell you I just turned 21 in October? And I know you turned 22 on your last birthday.
• Rockingham, Australia
@DaddyEvil I think you have some memory loss as well!
• Rockingham, Australia
Yep, we're showing our age knowing are glass-lined flasks.
@CarolDM (201245)
Such a nice tree. Happy Birthday to Vince's brother. How nice to give him chocolates. Quiche is a favorite. We call it a thermos here.
• Rockingham, Australia
The Christmas tree is very bright and we're seeing more and more of them now.
@CarolDM (201245)
@JudyEv They look very nice with those blooms.
Chocolate is a great idea for Vinces brother. I hope he and the other brothers all have Happy Birthdays. I used to carry a thermos to school and it had glass inside. One drop and it was toast. Pretty picture of the Australian Christmas tree
• Rockingham, Australia
I can remember the glass inside a flash breaking when the water was too hot.
@Deepizzaguy (77556)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I wish Vince's brother a very happy birthday as well his brothers this month.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. He has been speaking to one of them this evening.
@Deepizzaguy (77556)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@JudyEv You are welcome.
@RubyHawk (82121)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That’s nice that the brothers can spend time together. We say thermos, I don’t remember when the inside was glass.
• Rockingham, Australia
I doubt they make the glass ones now. They were easy to break.
• Rockingham, Australia
@RubyHawk Mine have metal innards too.
@RubyHawk (82121)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv All my thermoses are made of metal.Some plastic coated on the outside.
I use both names - thermos and flask. Happy birthday to Vince's brother , he must surely like chocolates.
• Rockingham, Australia
It's hard to know sometimes which terms are common and which aren't.
@rsa101 (36651)
Those lovely trees with golden blossoms. I have never seen those before, and I don't believe anything like exists where I live. Both the flask and the thermos are used, but the thermos is most usually used. I believe I can no longer remember those glass interiors. They were already metallic or made of aluminum when I first saw one.
• Rockingham, Australia
The flasks have metallic interiors now. The Christmas trees are parasitic and feed off other trees.
It's a thermos to me. I used to use one for work but now I can't find it anywhere.
• Rockingham, Australia
I have two that we take to endurance rides. They are very handy sometimes.
I love the picture of the Australian Christmas Tree.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. They are a really lovely tree.
That is a pretty Christmas tree. I call a thermos a thermos, and I use one when I go into the office to work. Happy Birthday to your brother in law(s) as you have a few this week. My hubs is 1 of 8 kids, but their birthdays are all spread out from February until December. Its fun marrying into such a large family.
• Rockingham, Australia
We enjoy catching up with any and all of Vince's family. There is just my sister and I now.
@wolfgirl569 (69685)
• Marion, Ohio
Thermos usually here and yes I remember those glass ones. Broke a couple dropping them. Hated having to throw my hot chocolate away. Happy birthday to all his brothers.
• Rockingham, Australia
I can imagine having to throw out hot chocolate. What a waste.
That is a lovely tree. Just a little tinsel and it would sparkle. Well, Happy Birthday to him and Happy Birthday to all the rest. I call it a thermos. I sure do remember since I took thermoses to school and broke a few and finally mom was glad when there were plastic ones.
• Rockingham, Australia
It was easy to break the glass in a thermos just by dropping them.
@LindaOHio (114177)
Happy Birthday to the three of Vince's brothers!!! We call it a thermos. Yes, the glass interior ones were the ones that always broke in a kid's lunch box. Pretty tree. Don't work too hard.
• Rockingham, Australia
Too late!! We worked too hard and now we can hardly move! But I'm sure we'll get over it in a few days.
• Rockingham, Australia
@LindaOHio I'm fine again now, thanks.
@LindaOHio (114177)
@JudyEv I hope you feel better soon!
@Beestring (9709)
Happy birthday to Vince's brother. That's a nice picture of the Christmas tree. We call it thermos here.
• Rockingham, Australia
It seems both terms are fairly common.
Flask I think. What a bright tree. Quiche sure sounds good. I haven't had any in a long time.
@JudyEv ........Sounds divine. I haven't made it in ages. Now I'm hungry for it.
• Rockingham, Australia
We enjoyed the quiche. We don't make it too often.
• Rockingham, Australia
@celticeagle That's happened to me here too. Someone mentions something I haven't had for ages and suddenly I'm hanging out for it.
@RebeccasFarm (84649)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Happy Birthday to him..and he will enjoy the chokkies. I love the Australian Christmas Tree Judy.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@JudyEv Yes they surely do.
• Rockingham, Australia
We stayed there last night and I had chokkies on the pillow. Such small gestures warm the heart, don't they?
This tree has beautiful colours, a self decorating Christmas tree. I still have a thermos that inside is glass, old fashioned, but it keeps the coffee hot longer than the modern ones. We call it thermos even in Italian.
@JudyEv - It keeps the liquid warm for a very long time. I was also surprised.
• Rockingham, Australia
We didn't use the thermos yesterday and when I opened it today the water was still hot enough for coffee. I was a bit surprised.
@Inlemay (17751)
• South Africa
sounds like you are giving great care all around - nice-looking local Christmas trees
• Rockingham, Australia
The paving is finished now, thank goodness. Good to see your name again. I hope you've been well.
@Fleura (24239)
I guess I call it a Thermos flask I think Thermos is the brand name isn't it? And yes I still have a couple of the glass type hanging around (along with everything else!)
@Fleura (24239)
@JudyEv We have a selection of stainless steel ones too. Haven't used them so much for a while but recently revived that idea!
• Rockingham, Australia
@Fleura With coffee the price it is now and every cup in a cafe seeming to take ten minutes to make, taking our own 'makings' becomes quite attractive.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thermos might be the brand name. I'm not sure about that. I have two that I take to endurance rides so we can take them out on the track.
@nela13 (53217)
• Portugal
You can't go wrong with chocolate I just use thermos. That tree is so beautiful, first time I see it.
• Rockingham, Australia
The trees are very lovely and sometimes there will be a dozen or more in a paddock.