Another One Of My Posts Stolen --- What Can I Do?

cyber thief
Germany
I’ve just got into a conversation with an American member about where the pizza is better, in Italy where pizza was born, or in the US of A where it migrated to with Italian emigrants. Of course, the discussion is futile as I’m right with the claim that nothing can surpass the original, heehee. But this is not the topic here. I wanted to send the member the link to a post I had written on the best pizzeria in Naples, Italy, namely L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele. Instead of going through the list of my 480 discussions I chose a different way. I‘ve saved all my posts. I copied the first paragraph of the text and asked google to find it. It did find it but not where it should be, namely on myLot! I was directed to the site ‘MaMaChineseCooking.com‘. Under ‘About‘ I‘ve found the information that it is ‘a Chinese cooking recipe site. Here, you can learn recipes from others & share recipes with others. Browsing recipes is free.‘ I wrote my post on October 6th, 2018. The Chinese site doesn’t mention a date when it posted my text. (It doesn't mention my name, either). Surprisingly, I’ve found an e-mail address I could turn to. (It’s not the first time I’ve chanced on a plagiarised text of mine on obscure sites I’ve never heard of. Some don’t give a name or an address one can turn to but my full name as if I wrote the text especially for them!) Now, what can I do? I can’t contact them and complain because they are anonymous. I could hire a lawyer to find out their details and then sue them. The lawyer would cost me more than my post is worth. What is my post worth anyway? Who puts a prize tag on intellectual property? I’m afraid I can only curse the Chinese thieves, bite in my pillow and gnash my teeth in anger. The cheek of it! ----- Here are the links to my post and the plagiarised one: https://www.mamachinesecooking.com/antica-pizzeria-da-michele-naples-italy/
Whenever I read an enthusiastic review on a frozen pizza and how delicious it is, I’m overwhelmed with sympathy. “Poor sod,” is what I think, “if only they...
@myklj999 (31401)
• Olney, Illinois
I sent them a message asking how they feel about plagiarizing posts from other sites
Thank you very much!
@myklj999 (31401)
• Olney, Illinois
@MALUSE There is a 'contact' link at the top of the page there
@myklj999 There is indeed. I had misunderstood it. I thought one could only use it if one wanted to contribute something to the site.
@DocAndersen (7829)
Honestly, you really can't do anything. China does not currently support any of the global intellectual property laws. Other than their stuff, then they support them. Plus, I was right!
Right in which respect? It's very warm today (for the middle of September) and my brain doesn't function properly.
@MALUSE i was the American you were having the argument with!
@porwest (18296)
22h
It is always terrible when this sort of thing happens, and I did write to them as well. But like you mentioned, there really is no recourse for people like us when it DOES happen. And of course hiring a lawyer would be futile since as you also mentioned, you might have been out a few pennies from the post—of course that depends on how much the site in question has made from your post, if anything at all. It IS good to find these, though, point them out, and let THEM know we know about it. Not sure it will deter them from continuing to do it, but if nothing else they might simply avoid ripping further stuff from this site or from you specifically knowing you are aware and watching.
21h
Thank you for your concern!
@porwest (18296)
20h
@MALUSE While what I do on here is not 'writing' per se, I AM still a writer outside of here. Our work is very dear to us, and no one ever wants our hard work to be stolen or put under the credit of someone who did not take the time actually doing the work. Like I said, probably does nothing to let that site know WE know what happened here. But it still feels good to call them out on it.
@LindaOHio (10276)
Sadly this happens. I'm sorry it happened to you.
@lovebuglena (12738)
• Staten Island, New York
Happened to me as well. I wrote a hub about MS Word Keyboard shortcuts and that has been copied to many sites. But the shortcuts are not original obviously so not sure if I can file a complaint, although if memory serves me right I may have done that years ago.
@LindaOHio (10276)
@lovebuglena Very sad to have your work stolen.
I've sent them a message too. B*stards!
@noni1959 (5735)
It's frustrating when someone takes your words for their own. Maybe when writing, screen shot showing the dates and times. If you can at least post those it would call out the thief in front of their audience.
I don't know who the audience is. I can't find the name of the site and/or address where my plagiarised post appears.
@noni1959 (5735)
@MALUSE I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you find out something soon.
@noni1959 Thank you. But I'm afraid I won't. What can I find out if there is no address I can turn to? The thieves remain anonymous.
• Sonora, California
I’ve had this happen to me as well, I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with it as well! I would love to try that Pizzeria someday!
You can save your myLot money for a trip to Naples! You won't regret it.
• Sonora, California
@MALUSE Definitely have thought of that, and Verona where my family immigrated from!
@Michellekidwell Verona is a pretty city.
@xFiacre (8532)
@maluse This is most annoying. I do remember your post, and I would be most annoyed if anyone did this to one of my masterpieces. But there's nothing we can do about these pestilential nuisances. At least it was only the post they stole and not an actual pizza.
Thank you for your comforting thought! :-)
@xFiacre (8532)
@MALUSE I too have emailed the site to record my sense of outrage and indignation! I'm sure they will be quaking in their shoes now!
@xFiacre Thank you very much indeed. You could have threatened them with eternal hell fire, too.
YES, contact them and complain, because you posted here so you have a precise date to show them. Unfortunately I fear that the Chinese site will do nothing to stop plagiarists.
I don't expect them to react, either.
@MALUSE But at least they know that it is a plagiarized article that they are showing.
@DeborahDiane (28039)
• Laguna Woods, California
I have been writing online for about 12 years, and I have had countless articles and posts stolen and put on other sites. I could go through the process of proving each one of them is mine, but on an individual basis I earn very little per article, so I do not bother. It takes less time to just write a new, more profitable article than it does to go through the process of proving someone stole one of my articles. I'm sorry there are so many crooks on the internet!
The healthiest reaction is to take the fact that someone considered the post worth stealing as a compliment. :-)
• Laguna Woods, California
@MALUSE - Yes, I agree. Accept it as a compliment and move on with your life. Fighting them is very time consuming and rarely worth it.
@epiffanie (10554)
Oh my! what can be done about plagiarists?.. I hear more and more of this..
I'm afraid that nothing can be done. :-((
Thank you for the links. It is a shame that there is nothing you can do about this theft of your property. Dirty, low-down rotten scoundrel did this.
Thank you for your sympathetic comment!
@ilocosboy (44633)
Some people cannot write but too good in plagiarism and they're making money out of it. One of the sad truth and the real author left gnashing teeth without the proper compensation.
@garymarsh6 (18754)
It is a shame that there is no mention of you. I remember this article and others on the subject. OH well you are now famous in China too but sad you get no credit for it. I would drop a complaint that it is plagiarised just so they are up to speed about it. They also do not identify anyone who posted it either but they may have details in their office so they can give them a good wallop with their size nines stivali.
@Mike197602 (14085)
There are things you can do but it does take time. This is one of the links I use that has been very helpful and details several things you can do although most people I know go straight for the dmca thing and get the site removed from search engines.
A guide on how to respond when your content has been copied online.
I wouldn't worry about it.
@egdcltd (8284)
Sadly, there are many, many sites out there that steal content. Some of them even the largest companies in the world are incapable of dealing with. There's one site I know of that steals material - including from Hasbro - and requests personal information for DMCA takedown notices, then publishes said information on the internet and leaves the content up.