We just gotta go

When I got home last night I mentioned I had been thinking of a certain restaurant. My plan was to go there maybe this weekend. . My point was that it is an hour or more away on the West side of Wichita, and Bob is more familiar with the East side.If we were to go on the weekend we could go in the daylight. Hubby is enjoying having his appetite back and insisted we had two more errands to do on the way and we should just go. Otherwise I would have refused or postponed it. There is a "main thoroughfare" in Wichita that does quirky things, of course the restaurant is just off of this road, and he missed when the road turned into something else. Hubby, of course, kept saying "we are in the right area. Anytime now". Eventually we circled around and snuck up on it from behind, so to speak. We ate to our heart's content. Hubby then says, "I don't know how to get out of here." I knew exactly how we should go. . . .get out to the Main Thoroughfare, and turn left. In about two miles get on the Interstate Highway to your left and proceed home. I told him this. He turned right. . . and proceeded to adventure through another portion of town, actually down town business district, with one way streets etc. Eventually we connected to the Interstate. In spite of road construction, we found the highway that would get us home. I think hubby, who would not listen to my instructions, doubled our drive time. So last night I had almost no time online at all. But we survived. He was able to eat two plates of food and have a bowl of soup afterwards, so he accomplished what he intended. I am not craving Asian Buffet food now, I had my fill. Usually I eat sea food dishes, some veggies, etc. And I did that. I am behind on house hold and online things, but we survived our adventure in Wichita, Kansas. There are some lovely lighting displays on the river, and we got to appreciate them in the dark So it was a winning situation, until next time. I get lost easily, but I KNEW how we needed to go. We just didn't, but I was not driving. How are you with directions?
Glad you got back home safely, Sometimes it's not bad to have a little adventure as long as there are the two of you and you're not alone, I am terrible at directions and cannot read a map to save my life,
I knew sort of where we were but I was not the one driving. You are right, an adventure together is pretty okay.
@PhredWreck (6095)
How are you with directions? Well, I get up and down correct most of the time
You probably do not have anyone in the passenger seat saying "No, do not go there!" like I do. Up and down may be the easiest to keep straight.
@DaddyEvil (68443)
There's a reason my phone has Waze on it. Without instructions from a GPS, I'm lost every time we venture beyond our local city. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the buffet. I'd love to go to the Thai buffet in Springfield but there's lots of Covid there, according to the Covid trackers online.
@DaddyEvil (68443)
@PhredWreck I don't want to carry anything I don't need with me when we go on trips. My phone takes the place of several objects I used to keep in my car all the time. (My phone also stays updated where the GPS unit has to be plugged into a computer to update itself. I got really lost once because nobody told me to update it.)
I have heard too many stories about GPS fails, and I guess this may be the reason. I am not sure what Thai food is like, but I bet I would enjoy it. Do stay away from the Covid pits, though. This particular part of Wichita is like a space/time warp. I have never looked at it on the map. The easiest solution would have been for hubby to take 235 to get to the west in the first place.
@DaddyEvil (68443)
@GardenGerty I only found out GPS units have to be updated when mine tried to get me to turn down a one-way street, the wrong way. Apparently, the city had recently changed it to a one-way street. We wouldn't be going into the big cities on either side of us if we could get doctors in our city. (Ours has referred us to Joplin and Springfield twice in the last three months.)
@moonandstars (53046)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
you are better than gps. now i know who i will call
Instructions are only as good as the people following them.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@GardenGerty very much true.
@moonandstars I have heard scary things about gps.
@CarolDM (168666)
• Nashville, Tennessee
So happy you found the place and you both enjoyed. Many do not like being given directions. I use my GPS.
@CarolDM (168666)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@GardenGerty I understand.
@oahuwriter (19718)
Maybe your husband wanted to just cruise for a while? I bus. Watch news for road maintenance, water pipe problems etc.
We got to see a lot of road maintenance, but one road recently celebrated the first time in 30 years it was not having construction.
@oahuwriter (19718)
@GardenGerty Ok. Scenery would have been better.
• Rockingham, Australia
Mostly I'm good with directions but from time to time I get completely turned around.
In this case he just did not listen. This particular part of downtown Wichita does get people seriously turned around.
Is it a man thing to ignore a womans instructions? I tend to stay out of areas I'm not familiar with as I'm usually alone and have no one to help with directions.
I could have gotten us there if I was driving. My sister and I got lost in that area a long time ago. That is how we found the restaurant in the first place.I am less adventurous when I am alone.
@1creekgirl (29667)
So glad you guys enjoyed your dinner and got home safe eventually. Thank goodness my husband has a good sense of direction...I really am geographically challenged, LOL.
This is not an area Bob has been in much. I bet back East he can take me anywhere.
Glad that you made it!
I knew we would eventually, it just made me tired.
@Fleura (18452)
Glad you didn't have a big argument about it anyway! You had a good meal and got to see some new parts of town : )
I have seen these parts but they are more breath taking in the dark.
@dawnald (84762)
• Shingle Springs, California
I usually manage to give pretty good directions, and take them. If anything I might overshoot a driveway or something and have to turn around.
@BarBaraPrz (34726)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I'm used to walking places, which usually means cutting through places where cars can't go, so I'm not so good at giving directions, especially now that I live in St Catharines, with its spaghetti streets and parallelogram grid.
Men and directions We rely on the GPS when going somewhere not familiar. At least you found the place, enjoyed a good meal and got home (eventually)
We have a GPS in the car, I turn in on and I know where we are. I push the button "Home" and the GPS tell us what to do to come back home.
@wolfgirl569 (49036)
• Marion, Ohio
I would have followed your directions
@xFiacre (10402)
@gardengerty Getting lost is all part of life’s adventure. So’s eventually finding your way back home and arriving there - I can feel a sermon coming on!!
@soymex (962)
• Bucharest, Romania
When you go on a long journey, all kinds of problems can arise.Maybe you don't see a traffic sign or an exit from the highway ... and it changes, the whole trip!